On the move in New Zealand.

I've been living on New Zealand's North Island for the last 19 years since leaving South Africa.
Lately I've been battling with pollen because the area I'm living in is between two mountain ranges, and the pollen
settles in this giant 'bowl'. Two years ago I actually had to go on an asthma inhaler it got so bad.
We decided on Ashburton on the South Island, mountain range on one side, sea on the other, the
pollen has somewhere to go and can get blown out to sea and fresh sea air can blow back when the wind changes direction [in theory anyway]
We bought our first house 7 years ago, thankfully I gave in to the wife's nagging to "stop paying someone else's mortgage"
and we bought the house that "reminded her of Canada". Over the last 7 years it doubled in value and today we signed a deal to sell it.
The houses down South are about 2/3 of the price so we could knock 10 years off our mortgage, or live in a small mansion though I'd prefer to go
mortgage free in a smaller place, the wife balances me out by looking for the "cheapest expensive house" we can afford and still reduce our
mortgage.
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 7.48.08 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ashburton was the safest area during the Christchurch earthquakes because it's on river stone that absorbs the shaking.
Time will tell though how the hillbillies down there respond to explosions, I have several cases of fireworks left :D

flames.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This sounds like an exciting change in your life. I hope it works out well. Will either or both of you also be changing jobs, retiring or whatever?
I have a job offer at a growing Auto electrical company - doing the same work. My wife is busy building up a Health and Safety business and will continue working on it down there.
The good part is that even though it is a smaller town they are prepared to offer me more than I'm. getting here and due to the housing being cheaper we can save 50 grand on housing and buy this place.

Having visited the south island 20-some years ago, a nice change of climate and geography, imo. Enjoy!
Thank you, on average it will be 4 degrees cooler than here, but also less humid which is good. And LOTS of exploring to do :)

I bought 10 wheelie bins to make the move easier - the red ones are for dangerous goods :D

Small section for those explosions!
Ashvegas - got a guy working here from there, younger folk tend to try and move out of there though, like most small towns.
Regarding the pollen - the Canterbury plains have heaps of crops, pine trees etc., are you sure it's better than the tron?

Small section for those explosions!
Ashvegas - got a guy working here from there, younger folk tend to try and move out of there though, like most small towns.
Regarding the pollen - the Canterbury plains have heaps of crops, pine trees etc., are you sure it's better than the tron?
Hamilton is between two mountain ranges, the pollen can't go anywhere. At least with Ashburton it can blow into the sea.
Someone I know from Raglan says he can feel the difference between Raglan and down there, and Raglan is close to the sea. He says when he drives through Hamilton his sinuses block up.
Small section for explosions? There's a park right next door! :D

Congratulations, that sounds a very good move.
(The photos of the house are so clean and perfect I suspect Photoshop. I hope you have checked the house actually exists and isn't purely Photoshop!)
Apparently the woman is an Interior design consultant :) It's 5 years old.

Last edited:

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Congratulations, Desmond! This is a very exciting move for you two, and that house is absolutely amazing! Going to an area that is better for your health and which costs less and pays you more is tremendous. I'm happy for you. I hope the move goes smoothly.

Good luck with it all Desmond. Nice spot, if a bit flat for my taste. We had fun some years ago keeping our eyes peeled for the longest length of irrigation boom we could see. I seem to recall that a length with eleven links, or whatever they are called, was our record.

Thanks everyone - there's a fair amount of stress involved waiting to see finance being approved, confirmation of the job offer, arranging a moving company but I'm just taking it day by day :)
It is very flat there, but at least the mountains are only 20 minutes away and the advantage of flat, as opposed to where we are now, is that the roads are wider and land is cheaper - and I can do repairs to the house myself rather than having to pay someone to erect scaffolding each time the outside needs to be painted or the gutters need cleaning out :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom