On the move in New Zealand.

Of course I packed my toolbox with 'essentials'
126272978_4979509442067160_471104326300973049_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

House moves her in the UK can be a nightmare. New regulations in the buying process has really slowed things down and the solicitors are not the fastest workers either. So far my son is trying to sell his place and it has taken at least 8 weeks before the agent put in on the market. This is down to new regulations including proof of ownership- produciing birth certificate ( yes even that)- money laundering checks- photographic evidence that you are by means of driving licence or passport photo who yousay are, and loads more this is just to name a couple of hoops to jump through. All this even before property photos are taken.

House moves her in the UK can be a nightmare. New regulations in the buying process has really slowed things down and the solicitors are not the fastest workers either. So far my son is trying to sell his place and it has taken at least 8 weeks before the agent put in on the market. This is down to new regulations including proof of ownership- produciing birth certificate ( yes even that)- money laundering checks- photographic evidence that you are by means of driving licence or passport photo who yousay are, and loads more this is just to name a couple of hoops to jump through. All this even before property photos are taken.
That is scary, when we decided to sell I just took some photos and placed them on our local auction site.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
In the UK there have been some very clever fraudsters who sell houses they don't own.
Can you imagine your door bell rings and you open your front door, to find a happy innocent family who have bought your house and can't understand why you are still there! And they have all the legal paperwork showing they bought it from you and have paid for it. Their money has gone to the fraudster and the legal documents show they really do own your home, less the part they mortgaged that a bank now owns. Can you imagine the difficulties getting your house fully back into your ownership!

(It doesn't take 8 weeks to assemble the paperwork. I recently did all this and it took 2 days. Of course it would take longer if you can't immediately produce all the IDs and paperwork needed.)

Last edited:
Can you imagine your door bell rings and you open your front door, to find a happy innocent family who have bought your house and can't understand why you are still there! And they have all the legal paperwork showing they bought it from you and have paid for it. Their money has gone to the fraudster and the legal documents show they really do own your home, less the part they mortgaged that a bank now owns. Can you imagine the difficulties getting your house fully back into your ownership!

(It doesn't take 8 weeks to assemble the paperwork. I recently did all this and it took 2 days. Of course it would take longer if you can't immediately produce all the IDs and paperwork needed.)

Blimey! How on Earth did they manage to do that?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Blimey! How on Earth did they manage to do that?
Identity theft. The lawyers, agent, bank, land registry etc all believe they are dealing with the owner of the house. In one case the owner returned to the house from a trip to find another family living in it. The lawyers don't like to be sued so they are now much more careful to check who they are dealing with.

Identity theft. The lawyers, agent, bank, land registry etc all believe they are dealing with the owner of the house. In one case the owner returned to the house from a trip to find another family living in it. The lawyers don't like to be sued so they are now much more careful to check who they are dealing with.

I hadn't heard of it until now. I see the FT ran a piece on it three years ago. Time I checked through my own paperwork. Thanks for that - and sorry for going off-thread.

I read a novel depicting this sort of situation, and it was indeed astonishing how easily the perps were able to get away with it! The novel was set in England so clearly the author had also heard of this happening there in real life.

I read a novel depicting this sort of situation, and it was indeed astonishing how easily the perps were able to get away with it! The novel was set in England so clearly the author had also heard of this happening there in real life.

Every so often I go on Zillow.com and look up my own house and look for what they is the last time it was sold. It has always matched the date we purchased it. A number of individuals do this to insure their home has not been subject to identity theft.

After driving 520km downs to Wellington, spending the night there, 3.5hr boat trip on the Picton ferry, about 7 hours to do another 500km, winding roads, rain and storms.. we are 'home'! We saw the house in person 6 hours after officially owning it :)
20201127_194106.jpg

I like Ashburton, it welcomed me this morning :)
20201128_084908.jpg

I spent a while trying to turn off the 'light' in the laundry, then the cloud moved away and it got brighter....
16065112833592057768779910036311.jpg

Waiting till Monday to get internet connected but the house is nicely wired up for it!
20201128_145243.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom