1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

On the road again ... westbound

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Minuteman3, Jul 11, 2018.

1. While visiting family and friends back east, we stopped for a few hours in Gettysburg, PA, and the battlefield monument. I will admit that I know very little about civil war battlefields, but I do know that the events at Gettysburg were crucial. We saw the battlefield itself ...
    Gettysburg 1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And also spent some time in the museum and visitor center. I was overwhelmed a bit by the "Cyclorama" 360º painting that I understand dates from the 1800's.

Gettysburg 2.jpg

The detail was amazing as was the description of what was depicted. Again, I am woefully unqualified to comment much about the battlefield, but if the area was closer, I have a feeling I would spend a lot more time learning about this critical phase of our history.

We spent a night in Lexington, KY, and in the morning as we were heading out to the freeway and looking for a gas station we found ourselves in what appeared to be a pricey little neighborhood of horse farms. We rounded one corner and found ourselves looking at a .... castle?

Lexington KY.jpg

The signs indicated it was some sort of event center/hotel/high end restaurant!! Not expecting that!!

Later, after leaving Amarillo, TX, we stopped at the "famous" Cadillac Ranch.

Cadillac Ranch (1).jpg

Cadillac Ranch.jpg

This was one of several well known spots on Route 66 that we visited. Another was the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari, NM.

Blue Swallow Motel.jpg

Timing prevented us from doing the locale justice.

Next up was a key series of stops that was really the focus of our trip home.

Ken

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. What fun Ken!

• Like Like x 1
  3. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

How cool is this? Your photos are wonderful and I’m totally jealous!

• Like Like x 1

4. You should have altered your route to go by Carhenge, in Alliance Nebraska and the Stonehenge Replica/memorial in Goldendale, WA :D :D :D 

Collect all 3 in one trip and you get a prize!

• Like Like x 1
  5. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Ken, you show some fond memories of Rt66.
    I travelled it 20 years ago...

Kind regards
    Klaus

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.