On the road storage?

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by bvonarx, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I will be "on the road" and need options for dumping files off CF cards. What can you suggest for large capacity storage options (other than burning DVDs at at a Kodak photo kiosk) when on the road?

Many thanx,
    Brooks

2. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    If you have an Ipod, apple makes a connector that directly downloads the pics from your camera onto the ipod. Makes things easier than carrying an entire laptop. I don't know the details though, like if it works with NEF's. Could be a very compact simple option.

3. I have an iPod and it's very good at what is made for: playing music on the move. You can buy the Camera Connector, but it's a really bad solution for massive storage of NEF files. I bought one and I don't use it at all. It's USB 1.1 and it's painly sloooooow.

There's a much better solution that you can set up easily and if you live in USA as most of you do, it's even easier to get.

The product is a hard disk drive enclosure called Digimate III and is sold for $47 by http://www.usbgeek.com

[​IMG]

You need to add an internal 2,5 " hard disk drive, the same that the ones found on portable computers. I recommend to buy an Hitachi 80 GB and 4200 rpm. It's better to go low on rpm because you'll get better battery life.

The final unit would act as a USB 2.0 multicard reader, and while on the road you just insert your memory card, press a button, and wait for the gadget to complete the copying process, clearly informed by a percentage gauge in the OLED screen.

It's a no brainer, no way to screw things or if you have the same name on differente photos or if you reinsert the card. Any new copy process will take place in another fresh directory.

Easy and fast. This is what usually goes with me in my travels and it works amazingly.

I see now that there's a new version with a toich screen, just $2 more, but I don't think it will make any difference but the buttons being bigger and in the front instead of on the side.

This is mine while working

Digimate_III.

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I use a 4 lb laptop with a 12" screen. Plenty of storage plus the ability to look at my pix so I won't make today's mistakes tomorrow - the day after, who knows. I also use it for Internet connection because I won't use my passwords on somebody elses computer, keyloggers being what they are. If I'm truely on the road (in my case, on a boat), I have a small 12v dc to 110v ac converter to charge batteries for cell phones, computers, cameras, etc.

6. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    I use Sony VAIO U50 "palmtop" with Win XP plus external USB2 80gb HDD.
    Very light, reliable, and you have Internet access, Photoshop, RawShooter, movies, etc. whenever you go

7. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Igor,
    I like the way you think, my wife just got one of these and it is a wonderful little devise! I personally use and would recomend the Epson P4000 or the 2000 or the 5000 or the 3000. Whichever flavour suits you!

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I also use and really like the P4000. Olympus does a great job with the screen, and offer firmware updates to enable you to read the latest cards. Works well with 16GB CF and 2GB SD cards.

9. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Brooks,

I have an epson hd/storage/viewer. There are 3 hd models..30 to 80 Gb.
    excellent mp3 player too. They seem to be the only one where you can
    download cf and sd cards. Bit expensive though.

have a great trip.

10. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Epson P-x000 is great but it doesn't enlarge RAW images to 100%, and it's VERY bad for me (that's why I sold mine).

11. I just picked up a Nexto CF OTG. Basically a HD enclosure with a single does all button. Copies 1GB in about 2 minutes, and erases if you select. Works very well.

I'll try it out in the field next weekend - a weekend away at EuroDisney with the family - should be able to fill a few cards quite easily !

12. I use a Compact Drive PD70x (called Hyperdrive in the US ?). It works similarly to the Nexto CF. Stick your card in, push a button and 2 minutes later you've downloaded 1GB of photos. No screen for review, but you get a confirmation that the transfer has been completed successfully. Its worked without a hitch (even after being dropped a couple of feet onto a concrete floor).

I have a 60GB HDD in mine and it got me around Europe for 2 months without running out of space. If you want to view your pics, hook it up to computer at an internet cafe via usb and take a peek. It helps to shoot RAW and jpeg basic so you can view the jpegs - cant always guarantee to find a raw viewer at an internet cafe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007