On the Washington DC Mall

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
On the Washington DC Mall today while shuttling visitors around and noted that the numbers of Nikons seemed much greater than the number of Canons/others. Is Nikon becoming the camera of choice?

Startling number of D200s and D2Hs.

When I was shooting the Cherry Blossoms on Thursday I noticed a lot more Nikon SLRs than Canons. It was a mixture of D200's, D70's, and D50's from what I saw.

I was at Bosque del Apache for a few days in December with PhilC (a Canon shooter) and saw ten-to-twelve Canon shooters for every Nikon shooter. It was remarkable. As a result, I've concluded that the system one uses could largely depend on the subject. I think there are many Canon shooters after birds because their long lenses are image stabilized and they're substantially cheaper than long Nikkors. Perhaps the same could be true in sports.

I was at Bosque del Apache for a few days in December with PhilC (a Canon shooter) and saw ten-to-twelve Canon shooters for every Nikon shooter. It was remarkable. As a result, I've concluded that the system one uses could largely depend on the subject. I think there are many Canon shooters after birds because their long lenses are image stabilized and they're substantially cheaper than long Nikkors. Perhaps the same could be true in sports.

That is an interesting point, and probably is accurate for why people choose certain cameras/lenses. Another factor is the D2Hs is 8 fps and only 4.1 megapixels, where as the Canon equivalent to that camera is 8.5 fps and 8.2 megapixels.

DC and surrounds seems to be partial to Nikon. I notice it to, especially the last few years at the Cherry Blossom festival.

I was at the Tidal Basin this morning, and although there were quite a few Canon shooters there, it did appear that there were more Nikon shooters.

DC and surrounds seems to be partial to Nikon. I notice it to, especially the last few years at the Cherry Blossom festival.

I wonder if some of that is due to the local dealers favoring Nikon in the DC/Baltimore region. If you go to Service Photo in Baltimore or Penn Camera in the DC area, they definitely have more prominent Nikon displays etc. that Canon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom