On the way back from my D2H repair....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Jun 10, 2005.

1. More frequent Err.. messages and the impending end of my warranty on the D2H saw me taking my Nikon personally for Nikon service in Johannesburg, about 600 miles from where I live in Durban - not a special trip, but I had to go there anyway for business.

Nikon service were more than fantastic. They took the camera in in the morning and by close of business, there it was repaired and ready.New Focus/metering board, new shutter, new rubbers, work really well done and so speedy. I was really impressed.

I've been getting quite friendly with the National Service Manager, and we had a long conversation about the D2H meter/focus isssue. I can assure all you D2H'ers out there that the modified and replaced board will NEVER give you problems after you have had it fixed. The old board had problematic connections, the modified board deals with that and properly. My advice - if you haven't had it done, get it done and have proper peace of mind and continue to enjoy that great camera.

Well as I left, everything was just dandy....but unfortunately I had a few hours to kill before the plane journey home, so I went to look around a bit at the camera shops because the selection in Johannesburg is vast compared to Durban, which is really a bit of a backwater.

It was at this point that I spotted a nice shiny D2X and had a chat with the salesperson. We discussed my D2H and started chatted a bit about selling it and getting the D2X. At which point he said he would give me the equivalent of USD 2000 for my camera on a trade in....

So, I dutifully fetched it from my car trunk, in an almost robotic kind of way and never having had the opportunity to test it out after the service, I found myself as if in a some kind of dream, paying the difference between the trade and the D2X.

I'm now somewhat lighter of wallet and need to do some serious assignments...but I'm also quite awestuck by comes out of the D2x. The D2H is a brilliant camera, I feel quite guilty, but this should be a warning to all....Don't walk to close to that camera store, or if you do, have either a mind of steel or a wallet of gold (but never the other way around) !

Sigh......

2. Great story. I fully understand such a sequence, it has me written all over it. You will love the new camera.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi peter-

the salesman must love you :) you did get a good deal on your trade-in, you won't get more than $1800 for a used d2h on ebay.

regarding the meter failure, i'm keeping my fingers crossed. my d2h is almost six months out of warranty, but i do have the extended warranty from the credit card company. hopefully it won't get to the point where i have to have it repaired though, but i still haven't done the firmware upgrade.

ricky

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Peter,

What a heart (or is it wallet ;-)) rending story. I've made up my mind that I'm keeping my H for a while. I like the smaller files that I get out of it.

I also don't really want to join the castrati, which is exactly what would happen if I even thought about getting an X. :?

5. nothing wrong with being a gelding Frank. It is worth it :^)

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Heh, heh. Thanks but no thanks Dave. I'd like to go out with as many of my parts as I came in with. :lol:

7. Peter, I can't think of many who might get as much advantage from a d2x than you! Congratulations!

8. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Peter,

You're going to love that camera.

Congratulations on a great impulse buy.

Tom

9. Best defense yet!!

"I was dreaming. I was in an altered state of consciousness, dear!"

Much better than "It just followed me home," or "I found it."

Congratulations!

Mike

10. Peter, What happens in Johannesburg stays in Johannesburg, we won't tell! CS Dayan

11. Great story Peter. Enjoy what looks to be a most excellent camera. :D

12. Good going, Peter!
    Enjoy your new toy......errrrr......tool :D :D

13. Really funny I don't seem to suffer nay kind of lust towards a D2X... And good luck with yours! :D

14. Peter

Congrats on the new camera. 8)

15. Thanks everyone

It's amazing with these things just how guilty one feels in the morning.
    I didn't really need it if truth be told. The D2H was just fine, more than fine.

I was truly in an altered state of being, the little men from the UFO told me so, I promise.

I'm battling a bit to fit myself, the D2X and the family dog into the doghouse in the yard right now, but maybe I'll be let inside in a few days again.

Oh well...

16. First bring flowers home, then sit your wife down in some flattering natural light, take a beautiful portrait of her, edit it up (not sure her age but most women would love to turn the clock back at least ten years so little cloning around the eyes, softening of skin, etc), print it off 8x10, beautiful frame and put it in the front hall where everyone, including her, can see it when they come through the door. She'll then come around to the realization that the camera was worth it! !*LOL* (So, can you tell I'm in sales????!!!! LOL)

BTW, congrats on your new baby - Enjoy!