On using "A's Super Resolution

Dear All,
I am contemplating buying Adobe PS again to leverage Super Resolution feature to revisit my best previous images from my pre D800 years. These days I currently use ONLY Capture One 21 Pro for my processing requirements. What do the people heer think? For those who have used SR to revitalize older NEF images - Is it worth the effort?
TIA, Nick

What are you doing with your images?? Unless you are printing LARGE, I don't find the programs useful.
They do not hold up for cropping out 90% of an image and trying to look at it on a video screen.
For printing large images, the last image I sold was 40x92", I have found topaz gigapixel to work pretty well.
I have tried the adobe super resolution, it is pretty quick and painless. I have not yet printed large to really see how it works, so can't help there.
I use Capture One for all my black and white and some of my color work- but I have to run all the prints through photoshop. They all need some local detail work that I can do easier in photoshop than CO.
gary

A 50% crop of d3 RAW just goes to 16x20 but won't go to 20x30.

This one in particular "Plumes in the Breeze"

Plumes in the Breeze.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great image.
50% crop of a d3 raw file isn't very big, starting with a12megapixel camera.
My a7riv files are 61mega pixel and they will just make it to a 20x30 I'm happy with- any bigger takes work and a perfect file. It certainly can be done, but it takes work. And that is without cropping.
D3 file is 4256x2832 pixels. 50% crop is 2128x1416 pixels, is about 3million- or 7x4.7 inches at 300 dpi.
If you are trying to print 20x30" from a 50% d3 crop it will be a stretch. 20x30" print at 300dpi is 54 million pixels. So you need to increase the file size by about 18X, which is a stretch for any program.
Glad you are printing big, so few do that anymore. I LOVE big prints. Bigger the better- but they have to have detail up close.
200dpi sometimes works in big prints- sometimes. Even that is a stretch here.
I haven't tried printing with the adobe super res, I have a workflow that works using topaz gigapixel. You may want to give that a try- it can almost do magic sometimes. Don't try to judge it on the screen, it often looks like crap and oversharpened. Look at the print- it just works- sometimes.
gary

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If the Adobe feature is good enough for you then that's great. But if you want something more heavy duty, where you can increase by 2x or 4x linear resolution and even improve a really bad photo (such as one from an old phone) as well, then try Topaz Gigapixel. It runs standalone or within Photoshop. You can download it and do a trial. Take a look here:
https://www.topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai
If you don't have a modern fast computer then it will be slow, but if it is just a few images that is not so important.

Given you don't have Photoshop I suggest making the best TIF you can using Capture One, but don't sharpen it much, and feed that file into Gigapixel. It can both enlarge and sharpen and you will need to try out the settings to get the best result. It can be so good it is hard to believe.

Last edited:
Dear All,
I am contemplating buying Adobe PS again to leverage Super Resolution feature to revisit my best previous images from my pre D800 years. These days I currently use ONLY Capture One 21 Pro for my processing requirements. What do the people heer think? For those who have used SR to revitalize older NEF images - Is it worth the effort?
TIA, Nick
I think that if the only reason for subscribing to Adobe CC is Super Resolution you may be wasting your money or at least at this time committing to spending more than is necessary for a one trick pony.

There is no doubt that it does a very good job and is a very nice additional feature but there are other applications that can do the job just as well and allow even greater enlargement at a lower cost, Topaz Gigapixel being one.

I am sure given time Adobe will improve their Ai algorithms and Super Resolution will become more feature rich and pretty much eliminate the need for third party offerings.

Before committing why not take advantage of the trial of Adobe PS and Topaz?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom