once again contre-sRGB :)

I never noticed that myself, but today Julia brought out some weired fact: Old Glory Blue is out of sRGB gamut. One of US flag colours is irreproducible in sRGB. How silly is that!

Real Name
Heiko
Iliah said:
I never noticed that myself, but today Julia brought out some weired fact: Old Glory Blue is out of sRGB gamut. One of US flag colours is irreproducible in sRGB. How silly is that!

Does it go into Adobe RGB ?

M

marek

Iliah said:
One of US flag colours is irreproducible in sRGB.

*tongue firmly placed in cheek*Yeah we should be tailoring a color space to one specific flag, or better yet let's change the flag so that it can be easily captured using SRGB for all those P&S'ers!*tongue removed from cheek*

Does it miss by a mile?

Dear Marek,

My post was also kind of TiC.

Still, it is most strange for me that HP and Microsoft are insisting on such a standard ("s" stands for "standard" in sRGB abbreviation), being US-based companies.

If you will look through the colour libraries, you will see that many "spot" colours of different flags and trademarks are out of sRGB gamut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Paul, "The State flag of the Russian Federation. General specifications" does not specify the colours. 2 years ago asked our officials, and they explained that "we do not have official colours". They recommended Pantone 185C for red and Pantone 300C for blue. I ended up using colours from the Dutch flag, as Peter I borroughed Russian Trade flag (which is the official Russian flag now) from Holland.

M

marek

Problem is...

...once something is a standard, then for better or worse it's entrained in all the systems and takes momentum (read $$$) to move.

Then again, at the end of the day aren;t we bound by ink gamuts? (unless of course you;re electronic only). Would be nice if everything ran aRGB or better though.

edit: also you assume people think about these things when working out the product. It's usually stuff that seems a no brainer ONCE someone else points it out!

marek said:
Then again, at the end of the day aren;t we bound by ink gamuts?
No, of course! We have special spot colour dyes, and when we need to print Coke Red, we use Coke Red dye.

Real Name
Heiko
Iliah said:
"Old Glory Blue" is Pantone 281c, inside Adobe RGB gamut

What a relief, I'm using Adobe RGB :smile: . Although I'm not shooting American flags so often, it just proofs the point of using a wider gamut.

Dear Iliah......

Gale----------------> runs to gallery to hide the flag image :>))))

Regards.

Latest threads

Top Bottom