Once upon a time (9 Pics)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by vettenut, Apr 23, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    There was a bustling mill village called Johnsonville that manufactured twine in the early 19th century located in CT (Part of East Haddam CT to be precise). This 61 acre site consists of numerous buildings dating from the 1700's to the 1900's. In the 1960's the property was purchased by Raymond Schmitt who kept the mill operational until a fire in the 1970's caused by a lightning strike. Mr Schmitt maintained a host of structures on this site and actually moved some old buildings onto the property, he had a church, victorian stable, post office, schoolhouse etc. This was all private property and within the stores were his collection of antiques in his own private village. He died in 1998 and aparently had no heirs since the town of Haddam has been struggling what to do with the property for years, it would make a great location for a "Little house on the prarie" type of show but alas all the buildings are now starting to suffer from lack of attention. Below are some pics of this very interesting piece of property. - Jeff

Here are a few of the church...

View attachment 92181

Waterfall with a bridge...
    View attachment 92182

A home built in the mid 1700's
    View attachment 92183

A few pics showing portions of the post office building...
    View attachment 92184

View attachment 92185

View attachment 92186

Love the old glass (Notice how the reflected image is distorted)
    View attachment 92187

Hope you enjoyed the shots- Jeff

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice series of images. The last one is quite interesting and unique :)

Regards

RFC

3. Very nice photos, Jeff; I'd say you caught the feel of the place. I like that spot and get over there once in a while. I too would like to see the town do something with the village, but we probably need another Mr. Schmitt to come along. BTW Here's a Tribute to Mr. Schmitt by our own Senator Dodd

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice all around
    As Robert said the last one in unique.
    The window looks like a painting. Framed for you

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    An excellent series, Jeff. I'm with Robert and Gale..... I think the last image is very special.

Mike

6. Nice series. Yes, that last one is special. I would have even cropped it so that only the window with the reflection were left.

Cheers

7. Picniced in Haddam last autumn, and just drove by last night on way to dinner in Ivoryton. That's a beautiful part of a beautiful state you are shooting in. Thanks for the pictures, which are nicely shot. I've got to look up the village....didn't know of it.

8. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Robert, Thanks for viewing, I like the last one the best as well. Will have to go back later in the year when there are leaves on the trees, I'm sure fall would be great out there. - Jeff

9. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Fred, The last time I went thru the village was in the winter many years ago, at that time there were antiques in the store and carriages outside and the paddlewheeler was out on the pond (now gone). It truly breaks my heart to see it slowly fall apart. Thanks for the link to the tribute, the man certainly loved the town of East Haddam. - Jeff

10. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Gail, Mike & Harry (x2), Thanks for viewing, I am definately going to crop that last one a bit and get a print made, it is different for sure. What a pain it was to find this place, at least I wrote down some directions this time :). - Jeff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.