One amazing street photographer and one unbelievable story

Hi...

There's little doubt that Gary's a true artist and a fine photographer using an old film camera of all things. It might be perceived by many as heresy in this wonderful, modern digital photographic age in which we now live.

However, my thoughts are drawn to his parents who seemingly made all of this possible. For his entire life, they had a son who lived in a basement like a mole...never worked...presumably lived off of their kindness, financial generosity and great love for their son and whose only "life" was apparently his photography. I think they're the ones who deserve a gold medal for without their love, kindness and generosity, I have to wonder just what Gary might have been able to accomplish.

I'm now donning my flame-proof suit, so please feel free to fire away...

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Hi...

There's little doubt that Gary's a true artist and a fine photographer using an old film camera of all things. It might be perceived by many as heresy in this wonderful, modern digital photographic age in which we now live.

However, my thoughts are drawn to his parents who seemingly made all of this possible. For his entire life, they had a son who lived in a basement like a mole...never worked...presumably lived off of their kindness, financial generosity and great love for their son and whose only "life" was apparently his photography. I think they're the ones who deserve a gold medal for without their love, kindness and generosity, I have to wonder just what Gary might have been able to accomplish.

Hear, hear! Well spake, sir!

As much of a genius artist as Gary must be, it was indeed his parents that afforded him the ability to live unfettered and able to pursue his one passion.

He looks pretty Chicago. Loneliness & desperation is a constant in big cities and so much of it. I'm sure his own isolation informs his images, I'm sure he feels it acutely. That he only worked to please himself is something we should all try to do. It may make stronger photos for the truth to ourselves.

Firstly I would like to thank you for sharing such a great and wonderful story. I only wish that Gary's parents would have been able to see his work. Absolutely stunning work from the images I've seen.........next time I'm in a book store I'll definitely look for his work. Thanks again for sharing.

Hi...

Something sorta tells me that he may have been suffering from post traumatic stress or something like that from his experiences in the service. He certainly sounds very disconnected from the rest of the world. It is possible the man just poured himself completely into his work, thought of nothing else and his parents supported him in this pursuit but to me it sounds like he couldn't deal with society. Especially considering that he never showed his photography to his parents, so it's doubtful they allowed him to just live in their basement to pursue his art of which they were seemingly unaware.

I am not judging, just sort wondering out loud here. He claims that he couldn't pursue his art and work a job, but many artists like Ansel Adams were fully capable of making a go of it in the real world and keeping an artistic work flow.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom