One artsy, one headshot

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Jun 14, 2007.

1. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    The first one was inspired by a box of very old photos, many of which looked like this. The second is my attempt at one of Keith's (Jetta32696) great angular framings. The model is Kasia Sweeny.

View attachment 100708
  2. i love the first one.. :)
  3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    These are both very good!! The first is excellent. I like it without the processing, but the processing is excellent and adds a nice dimension. Does that say 1912!!!:eek:....:smile:
  4. I like them both, but the 1st is absolutely magnificent.
  5. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks so much Laura! :smile:

Thanks Stuart. It says "Daydream May 1942". Inspired by a box of photos that my wifes Grandmother had at the nursing home with her. The night her Grandmother passed away we sat and looked at the photos - many more than 50 years old. My wifes grandmother lived to be 89, and she lived a wonderful life. It's all there in the photos...... just so profound. I'll never forget those old photos.

Wow Darrell! That's very nice of you. Thanks so much. :smile:
  6. Beautiful Fred, really lov ethe first one. Is that a PS plugin?
  7. #1 is amazing Fred!!!!! You did a great job with the processing. If shot #2 were mine, I would crop it tighter on the left and bottom, Kasia's neck/collar bone is somewhat distracting to me. It's like there is too much empty space...
  8. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Eric. I "designed" the effect, which is just a bunch of PS layers -all done to taste. In case anyone is interested, here's how I did it:

-Desaturate and kick up the contrast
    -Add a layer of noise, then blur the noise
    -Add a layer and use lasso tool to roughly draw the "damaged" areas on the right and left side of the image (this is random - do what you think looks good)
    -Use eye dropper to pull a light tone out of the image
    -Use paint bucket to fill the "damaged" areas with that tone - soften some of the edges with a 50% eraser brush
    -Add a layer and use a white pencil to draw the "scratches"
    -Add a layer and use some of the different shaped brushes to create "drag" marks again using the white color
    -Adjust the opacity on each layer to taste
    -Dup the "damaged" layers as needed - skew, lighten, rotate and erase parts of the dup layers so the look different from their parent.
    -Move the layers around and adjust their opacity until you are happy with the image.
    -For the heck of it, I added the text "Daydream, May 1942" to the lower right using what looked like a hand written font.

If anyone has a question about the technique, feel free to PM me.

**Moderator, please let me know if I should move this to the retouching forum. I will gladly move and link to this thread if it's in violation. :smile:

Thanks Keith. Oh yea I agree - just by cropping on the screen I see what you are saying. Thanks for your help.
  9. They are both nice Fred. #1 is very special though.
  10. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Roy, I appreciate you comments. :smile: