One artsy, one headshot

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Jun 14, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    The first one was inspired by a box of very old photos, many of which looked like this. The second is my attempt at one of Keith's (Jetta32696) great angular framings. The model is Kasia Sweeny.

536797385_510525ae56_o.

View attachment 100708

2. i love the first one.. :)

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    These are both very good!! The first is excellent. I like it without the processing, but the processing is excellent and adds a nice dimension. Does that say 1912!!!:eek:....:smile:
    Plug-in?

4. I like them both, but the 1st is absolutely magnificent.

5. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks so much Laura! :smile:

Thanks Stuart. It says "Daydream May 1942". Inspired by a box of photos that my wifes Grandmother had at the nursing home with her. The night her Grandmother passed away we sat and looked at the photos - many more than 50 years old. My wifes grandmother lived to be 89, and she lived a wonderful life. It's all there in the photos...... just so profound. I'll never forget those old photos.

Wow Darrell! That's very nice of you. Thanks so much. :smile:

6. Beautiful Fred, really lov ethe first one. Is that a PS plugin?

7. #1 is amazing Fred!!!!! You did a great job with the processing. If shot #2 were mine, I would crop it tighter on the left and bottom, Kasia's neck/collar bone is somewhat distracting to me. It's like there is too much empty space...

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Eric. I "designed" the effect, which is just a bunch of PS layers -all done to taste. In case anyone is interested, here's how I did it:

-Desaturate and kick up the contrast
    -Add a layer of noise, then blur the noise
    -Add a layer and use lasso tool to roughly draw the "damaged" areas on the right and left side of the image (this is random - do what you think looks good)
    -Use eye dropper to pull a light tone out of the image
    -Use paint bucket to fill the "damaged" areas with that tone - soften some of the edges with a 50% eraser brush
    -Add a layer and use a white pencil to draw the "scratches"
    -Add a layer and use some of the different shaped brushes to create "drag" marks again using the white color
    -Adjust the opacity on each layer to taste
    -Dup the "damaged" layers as needed - skew, lighten, rotate and erase parts of the dup layers so the look different from their parent.
    -Move the layers around and adjust their opacity until you are happy with the image.
    -For the heck of it, I added the text "Daydream, May 1942" to the lower right using what looked like a hand written font.

If anyone has a question about the technique, feel free to PM me.

**Moderator, please let me know if I should move this to the retouching forum. I will gladly move and link to this thread if it's in violation. :smile:

Thanks Keith. Oh yea I agree - just by cropping on the screen I see what you are saying. Thanks for your help.

9. They are both nice Fred. #1 is very special though.

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Roy, I appreciate you comments. :smile: