One cool thing about High Speed Crop---

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by pbenedic, Mar 10, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    If you notice that you're filling up your CF, and you have vital shooting left to do, just flip on HSC (but REMEMBER to use the corner crop guides!!), and voila--you have more captures available. Very obvious point, but I thought it was cool.

I've had good luck using HSC so far. I vote that it is a winner.

2. Hi Pat,

What I need is a 4 gig card. What size do you use?

Also thanks for the advice on the above which brings me to asking you what is the quickest way to turning on the HSC without going through the menus?

Melissa

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey catz....

I am currently utilizing 2 gig cards and shooting in both full mode and HSC. I will get a 2 gig card however (or two).

Interestingly, I find myself being much more "shot selective" than I was with the D2H. The D2H was a moving target shooters dream at 8fps and with the 4 MP files.

This thing at 5 fps max in full mode feels like a real poke when I'm shooting something important...so I switch the HSC when needed for this.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Hi Jim,

Isn't the D2X better than the D2H? I never owned one. I guess because the D2X shoots 8 fps at 6 mp and 5 fps at 12 mp, it seems better than the D2H.

This camera sounds like a machine gun going off when in HSC. It really blows my mind.

Melissa

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Melissa

The D2X isn't better in my opinion..it's just different.

If they could provide me wit a camera that had the MP of the X with a full 8fps, I'd be thrilled. The 5ps is frustrating when I'm shooting flying birds...the HSC mode is nice because it's the same speed that I'm used to with the H and it is more MP's even in that mode. seeings how I never had any problems printing to 13 x 19 UNLESS I HAD TO CROP! I was happy, happy, happy with the H...I'll grow to love the X for what I do once it becomes and extension of me and I can really make it sing without thinking about what I'm doing :)

Jim

8. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Easy use of HSC

Melissa,
    You can select a custom setting to toggle HSC on and off by using the front "func" button and rotating the main command dial.
    This makes it incredibly easy.
    Check the instruction manual for full details. It's easy to do, trust me.

Pat

9. Thank you Pat for the help. I will do just that.

Melissa

10. Melissa -

Menu -> Custom Settings (the "pencil") -> f Controls -> f4 FUNC. Button -> Hi-speed crop

After setting this, hold the FUNC button down (the button below the DOF Preview button), and while holding it rotate the command dial to the right one click.

That was one of the first things I did with mine... now if I could only figure out the rest of it! :)

11. For David

David,

Thank you! Now this makes more sense. I appreciate you explaining it to me.

Melissa

12. billT

billT Guest

13. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    I use the 4GB...

lexar. You get 300 uncompressed RAWs on the D2X. Will try compressed soon.

Check out the post 2 above this one...there are detailed instructions on how to make your "func" buttion toggle HSC on and off.

14. For Bill and Pat,

Hi Bill,

I have a IBM 1 Gig microdrive and I use it when I don't want to have to change cards but I am so afraid of dropping it or losing my pictures and I won't be able to recover them when Lexar has a recover program. However, microdrives are less expensive than CF and I can't figure out why plus they give you more for your money. For example, I saw a Hitachi 4 gig for 199.00.

Do you know if Hitachi is better than IBM?

Hi Pat,

Thank you. I did see David's post about HSC and now I set mine. I like the func button now that I know how to use it and set it. I am still learning on how to use the camera that I haven't taken very many pictures. I'm just learning as much as I can about the X by all of the wonderful members here and the manual.

What size Lexar are you using to get 300 uncompressed RAW pictures on it?

Melissa

Melissa

15. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Oops

4GB--200 images, NOT 300. Don't know the numbers on compressed yet.

16. billT

billT Guest

Hi Melissa,

I think Hitachi bought IBM micro-drive, so this is a non-issue. I use both of them, and did not have a single problem in the past few years. It is not clear to me if one is better than the other. One of my 4 gig hatachi was ripped out from an MP3 player - a trick that everyone was talking about some time back. Like you, I am afraid of dropping them, so I learn to handle them carefully. In fact, I am looking forward to getting the 6 Gig one, it is quite handy for long trips.

17. I agree with you on the convenience of having only one card for a long trip.

So when will this 6 gig being released? I didn't even know that there was going to be one.

BTW, none of the MD would happen to come along with recovery software, would they?

Thanks for all the info.

Melissa

18. billT

billT Guest

Hi Mellisa,

You are right, none of them comes with recovery software.

BillT.

19. why would you pay $300 for a 6 gig microdrive when you can get a 5 gig microdrive for $150 and a 4gb flash card for $300?