One for the Day

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by beaucamera, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Photography is too much fun! Today I used my reflector to soft the light on these ranuculus blooms, then post processes in PSCS, masked the flowers and blurred the background to produce this result.

Date/Time 21-Apr-2005 10:14:40
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D70
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 105 mm
    Exposure Time 1/125 sec
    Aperture f/10
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    Exposure Program: Adobe sRGB iii
    aperture priority (3)

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Virginia it don't get much better than this.

Beautiful

I think I might try removing the red hue above the red flower and see wht it looks like.

I would sure like to know how to do that.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Me too....as I'm just now learning how to process them once I've taken them I know I have a lot to learn. Would you mind sharing your "method"? Your end result is very ethereal...very pleasing to my eyes.

4. Beautiful Virginia, what more can I say. Your crop and composition on these images is right on.

5. WOW, Virginia what a gorgeous shot!! :D :D :D :D

6. Version #2- Background Replacement

The hue above the orange flower comes from blurring the background. This is a side effect from the amount of the blur I used. This took me a while to do because it required masking the floral area rather precisely. I used my Wacom Intuos 3 pen to refine the mask area.

In this version I replaced the background color and reduced the opacity to 65%. Do you like it better?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. In a word YES. The halo (esp. red) on the original was just a little distracting but it was still a beautiful picture. This is even better. The more I see people work with the Wacom tablet the more I think I should have one.

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Virginia

This is a fine piece of work. Very well composed and post processed.

The reflector helped, you might be helped significantly by a diffuser as well.

9. Glad you guys liked the reprocessed image. Anand I mis spoke when I said I used a reflector. It was actually a diffuser.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Virginia, that's incredible! I'd love to get a shot like that

11. Thanks for the link, Martin. I'll have to give the lens blur treatment a try. I used a Gaussian blur for this image and then painted the background. As with everything you do in PS, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing.

Your macro photography is just outstanding. You have a great talent to share and I, for one, am most appreciative of having you here.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. Thanks Virginia, I am glad I finally registered here, seems to be a very friendly place.

Here is an example using the lens blur, I found the background was competing to much with the subject so I lens blurred and I think it makes the subject stand out better now.

[​IMG]

13. Lovely shots, but the second is definately my favourite !

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks great Virginia.

You are very good at this. :>))

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Humming Bird is Fabulous. Looks 3D

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. Thanks again, everyone. Shot #2 wins!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

18. Look very nice, Virginia. Great post-process. I have used a much more complicated process to create similar halo effect. I now learn a new and simpler one, thank to you. Regards.

19. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Now it makes sense :), it did not look like a reflector :)