One from last night - HS Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Voyager1968, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Here is the shot the paper used last night. It's a QB keeper he ran for a touchdown. Anyway, it was slightly OOF, which I somewhat corrected with the USM. Still the quality of the shot is bad. Good enough for the paper, perhaps, but nowhere near sellable. On a sidenote, WB seems off as well. I used flash, but it just looks wrong. C&C and pointers are welcome.

2911548167_ccc897af8c.

2. SeanMartin

SeanMartin

Sep 24, 2008
    Watkins, CO
    Best advice is shoot raw and correct WB in post. I know a couple guys who shoot flash with their WB on shade. I did it once. The colors were better than this, but I still changed them.

Not sure what your settings are, but I'm seeing motion blurr. Be sure you are not using high speed sync with your flash. Set to 1/250, leave your shutter there and adjust aperture and iso so you are underexposed 1 to 2 stops without the flash. Add the flash and it should stop your action.

With the SB-600, you may need to wait for the action to get a little closer to you as it doesn't throw light as far as some other flashes.

3. Only one comment. I guess this one's pretty bad.

4. I wouldn't bother messing with a flash too much personally, the D300 has great ISO performance, I'm sure you can freeze the action at 3200 ISO easily, maybe even less.

I agree, shoot RAW and adjust WB later. Or learn how to set a custom white balance on the go, the D300 manual explains that pretty well.

Good luck!

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I have yet to find a HS field in NC where the above statement applies College yes better lights
    HS Use flash and hope for the best
    Or get a D3 and A 400mm 2.8
    Perhaps you could post some examples of HS football at ISO 3200 from a D300 would love to see them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.