One from Mt. St. Helens, Washington

We took a whirlwind tour of the Pacific Northwest a few weeks ago. What a beautiful and varied area!

There are many images that I have yet to sift through, cull out and process. I rather liked this one of Mt. St Helens, especially after I bumped up the saturation and contrast.

Mt. St. Helens, I thought, would be depressing and of little interest. Was I wrong! There are signs of life everywhere as nature rebuilds. The most striking thing, though, it the utter and complete silence of the landscape. There are a few birds and people that you can hear, but their sound is quickly and completely swallowed by the nothing. It is like being in a sound-proof room. It is quite an interesting experience.

Well, here is the image. I would appreciate any constructive feedback. (By the way, it is about 1000 feet straight down just beyond the flowers.)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Joe,

I really like the colors in that photo. It shows the contrast between the areas that have started to re-grow and the areas that are still ash. It seems amazing to me how fast the canyons form in the soft ash.

We saw similar sights in 2004 in the Valley of 10,000 Smokes in Alaska from an eruption almost 100 years ago.

Bob & Nan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi, Bob.

Hi Joe,

I really like the colors in that photo. It shows the contrast between the areas that have started to re-grow and the areas that are still ash. It seems amazing to me how fast the canyons form in the soft ash.

We saw similar sights in 2004 in the Valley of 10,000 Smokes in Alaska from an eruption almost 100 years ago.

Bob & Nan
Thanks for commenting. It is interesting to see the growth progress from the near field areas toward the mountain. The ash must be hostile to new growth, or it may just take years for seeds to find their way closer in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad I have some

interest there, Don. The foreground flowers and the colors in the side canyon help. Otherwise it would be quite boring.

B

Bright Angel

Very nice shot :smile:
I visited in July, but it was mid day and just looked flat.
I think I took 1 photo, I can't remember if I kept it or not.

Beautiful. The purple flowers in the lower left really make the image! I was out there in 1991 and the vegetation had already started to grow back.

Lovely shot of a world famous natrual landmark. It'd be interesting to see that scene prior to the major 1980 eruption.

AMAZING photo!! I just love the colors and the contrast. Great job. I lived in Golden, Colorado on May 18th of 1980 and woke up many miles away to a white ash all over my car, and of course that ash was found everywhere you went. I will never forget that day. But I never made it out to actually see that famous landmark. Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom