One from my backyard.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Daves602, May 6, 2007.

1. Although my backyard is not the normal suburban block. Up in the Blue Mountains we have a very diverse selection of birds. These guys are Satin Bower birds. The male who appears black until the sun hits him, builds this courting tunnel known as a bower. It is not a nest, just a bachelor pad for him to show off his collection of blue nick knacks. He has the ideal life, shows off, has sex with a multitude of females and no responsibility towards the family! The hen builds the nest and raises the chicks on her own.
    These guys are pretty flighty, so I just took my time and waited for them to get in position and for the sun to co-operate.......what do you think?
    Oh, yeah, taken with the D2X medium size file, 400 f/2.8 AF-S 11, SB 800 for fill light (don't remember if it fired or not, probably did) Off my back deck. This guy has been co existing on my block with my 4 pug dogs for the past 5 or 6 years, the dogs steal his pegs and stuff and he flies into the house to retrieve them. Who would want to live anywhere else?
    [​IMG]

2. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Nice shot dave, wish i had them in our garden... all we have is next door's cats :(

3. This is where the pugs come into the equation. :smile:
    The pugs hate cats and are annoying enough to keep the cats out. But, pugs are not known for there athletic ability or stamina, so the birds could care less about them and have a cat free environment to enjoy. By the way, my one hate in this world is the family cat, especially in Australia. The family cat is responsible for the extinction of many small native Australian marsupials.:frown: