One from today's shoot. **pic added**

I did an outdoor shoot today with Jodie Cheng on the Princeton University campus. We had a blast! Comments welcome!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Boy I wish I had a shoot today!:mad:

This is a beautiful and technically excellent shot.

My only suggestion would be to crop it just before the neckline of her blouse.

Good work Fred! Looking forward to more from this shoot!

Cool! Boy I wish I had a shoot today!:mad:

This is a beautiful and technically excellent shot.

My only suggestion would be to crop it just before the neckline of her blouse.

Good work Fred! Looking forward to more from this shoot!
Thanks Stuart. Darn I totally missed the creases in her shirt. :frown:

The lighting is very nice on this shot of the lovely Jodie Cheng.
Thanks Gordon. I used the white side of my new Photoflex 5-in-1 reflector for this photo. The 5-in-1 is a very nice product - I think it was you that recommended it actually.

i like that one much more than the others. and the colors are nice :) there is much more depth to this one..
Thanks Laura. I'm learning a little more with each shoot. I hope the next is even better!

Quality Fred........... enough said. :cool:

G
Thanks Graeme.

Wow, Fred...magnificent.

Did you use that Photoflex reflector? What side? Gotta get me one of those things...but I'll be hard pressed to match your results here...

Wow, Fred...magnificent.

Did you use that Photoflex reflector? What side? Gotta get me one of those things...but I'll be hard pressed to match your results here...
Thanks John. Yes, I used a 42" Photoflex 5-in-1 (white, gold, silver, gold/silver, diffuser). I used the white side for this photo. The sun was pretty high, so I had Jodie in the shade. The reflector was to Jodie's right, sitting on a chair at waist level, and pointing upward. As soon as I bounced the light onto her I knew I was going to have a shot at some nice images - the light was beautiful and smooth as silk.

That was my first time ever shooting with a reflector outdoors - a big time learning experience for me.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I've looked at this several times trying to figure out why I'm not thrilled about it and came up with two reasons... there's no texture in her skin for one, and from this angle and the flat lighting isn't working with her very small eyes and wide face. Check it out... scroll this window so that just her nose and mouth show... looks proportional. Now scroll so that her nose and mouth are cropped off and notice how far apart her eyes appear.

Now look at your avatar and you'll see an even more dramatic example of an ideal angle that downplays the width of her face.

It doesn't even look like the same person.

I agree with Woody and also think this would have been even better with an 85mm.

I like this with her mouth closed. I've seen a couple of your other shots of her and to be honest, her teeth are kinda funky. She looks much prettier and younger with mouth closed.

p.s. I went to the frig to grab a beer and was wondering if that line would work on my wife..."Honey, you look much prettier and younger with your mouth CLOSED." Nah, you're right...probably not. :wink:

I've looked at this several times trying to figure out why I'm not thrilled about it and came up with two reasons... there's no texture in her skin for one, and from this angle and the flat lighting isn't working with her very small eyes and wide face. Check it out... scroll this window so that just her nose and mouth show... looks proportional. Now scroll so that her nose and mouth are cropped off and notice how far apart her eyes appear.

Now look at your avatar and you'll see an even more dramatic example of an ideal angle that downplays the width of her face.

It doesn't even look like the same person.
Thanks Woody. I cranked down your skin technique layer from 25 to 12 and it still looks smooth - I think this shot could do without it really. The lighting is really soft.

Your facial analysis is spot on. Matter of fact Jodie has told me that her face was "too round". However, while I don't necessarily disagree with this, it really does not bother me. Maybe because I've spent a lot of time working with her and that's how I see her. To me, this is all part of the beautiful Jodie.

You have spawned an interesting thinking process inside my little brain. Exactly what is beauty? Am I able to distinguish beauty? Sure, 36/24/36, blond hair, blue eyes, perfect skin is easy to see, but if I am able to capture someone in all their imperfect beauty, have I succeeded as a photographer? Hmm........ :confused:

good shot frede...
Thanks Maurice.

Gorgeous, great use of the 50 / 1.8!
Thanks Frits.

I agree with Woody and also think this would have been even better with an 85mm.

I like this with her mouth closed. I've seen a couple of your other shots of her and to be honest, her teeth are kinda funky. She looks much prettier and younger with mouth closed.

p.s. I went to the frig to grab a beer and was wondering if that line would work on my wife..."Honey, you look much prettier and younger with your mouth CLOSED." Nah, you're right...probably not. :wink:
Thanks Roy. Easy with that..........my guess is that you would get yourself in big trouble. :smile:

Fred just great! Bring her back teh first week of June. I'll be on campus for my nieces graduation..
Thanks Eric! Bring your gear. The place is loaded with places and things to shoot.

I love this one Fred!! Great lighting, great expression, great photo!!!
Thanks Keith. :smile:

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Exactly what is beauty? Am I able to distinguish beauty? Sure, 36/24/36, blond hair, blue eyes, perfect skin is easy to see, but if I am able to capture someone in all their imperfect beauty, have I succeeded as a photographer?
Don't misunderstand me. I'm only evaluating the image you posted, not the woman and certainly not beauty. To me a model is like a flower arrangement... you light them properly and photograph from an angle that you find most flattering.

Everyone has a "bad angle" and when you are photographing models that's what you want to avoid. I just happen to think this is not a flattering angle for this subject, while your avatar shot is.

Oh, and don't think I'm saying I'm perfect in this regard, because I'm not. Working with the same model repeatedly usually results in not seeing them so much as a "subject" but as a person and that can lead to less than subjective analysis.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm only evaluating the image you posted, not the woman and certainly not beauty. To me a model is like a flower arrangement... you light them properly and photograph from an angle that you find most flattering.

Everyone has a "bad angle" and when you are photographing models that's what you want to avoid. I just happen to think this is not a flattering angle for this subject, while your avatar shot is.

Oh, and don't think I'm saying I'm perfect in this regard, because I'm not. Working with the same model repeatedly usually results in not seeing them so much as a "subject" but as a person and that can lead to less than subjective analysis.
I totally understand that you are evaluating the image. I'm in no way questioning you. I am questioning me, but I think your follow-up has cleared some things up for me. The modeling world is illusion, so I guess there isn't much room for imperfection. We are creating an illusion more than we are taking a picture of a beautiful person. Sounds simple, I guess shooting people and shooting MODELS are two different things.

I think this image may illustrate your point. She looks like a different person.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom