One from yesterday's football game

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Pianisimo, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Yeah, so, I don't have a D300 or a D700 or a D3. I borrowed my dad's D80 (it's practically mine, he never uses it :biggrin:) and his 55-200 VR (yeah...still saving for a 80-200) and drove down to the field. I got about 20 keepers, I need some practice. Here's one for you.

2855595471_2cf4fd0dc1_b.png

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You did a pretty good job and with more opportunity to shoot, you'll notice improvement and that burning desire to shoot more sports action. While this image is exposed well, it sure would have been nice to see more faces, especially the face of the player with the ball. The image is exposed well, but maybe a tad oversharpened. No distinct nits from me, just a tip or two to help you improve.

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I second Frank's points.

Try and be on sideline just deep of the line of scrimmage to get sweeps, QB drops and some defensive shots, Downfield more to get faces on extended plays...

Post some more, let's see what you got!!!! (you don't NEED a 300/700/D3 to take great shots, just a good eye and some practice!)

4. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Wow, thanks for the help guys! Both of those are great suggestions. I'm having trouble being anywhere near the line of scrimmage with all of the players not on the field and the coaches and everyone right there in front of me. I've been staying more downfield but I'll try some new areas and see what works.

Here are two more, hopefully you can see some faces better here.

2856108667_08cbeaa087.png
    Here they got really close, and I almost pulled up my D50/sig10-20 from my waist but I held of and kept shooting. Not exactly a typical football shot from what I've seen, but...hmm : ) at least at this range, their faces are very easy to see. Not going beyond 200mm might be my problem.

View attachment 253033
    How can I save this? I'm unsure of what kind of crop to use. Any suggestions? I really like the shot but I'm not too keen on the angle or the composition.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Pretty good shots
    Watch your horizons hard to do sometimes with action flying down the field , but really effects overall quality of field sport images

6. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Thanks Mark, that's actually a really helpful tip and I've noticed I haven't been good about that. Once I get a lens with a tripod mount on it, I'm definitely going to get a monopod.