1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

One-hander

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Second Baseman made a one-handed grab and throw on a high infield bouncer. I caught him just as he caught and before he started his throw. I was amazed when processing to see that he apparently caught the ball using just his thumb and two fingers, ready to throw. Unfortunately the runner crossed the bag before the throw. Still, a nice moment to catch and keep.

1/500, f2.8, 180mm, iso800
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great catch

Are you using a tripod.
    Images have been blurry

3. Gale -

Unfortunately, if I had used a tripod or even a monopod I wouldn't have gotten the shot. No this was a "grab shot". Lots of baseball shots you can plan...based on position, strategy, etc. But capturing the unexpected action is a challenge as it can be anywhere on the field, at any time. That requires quick reflexes, a quick camera, and a quick lens and even then a lot of shots just won't "happen". And I don't have the quickest reflexes, the quickest camera, or the quickest lens around. But I was reasonably happy with this one...the one-hand-catching second baseman is in good focus. The out-of-focus shortstop is on a different plane behind the f-stop range of the lense. Even though I had to crop some, I deliberately left a fairly loose crop including the shortstop because the one-handed stop is best seen in context to understand what is happening...if I had just focused tightly on the second-basemen you wouldn't even know what position he was, or where the play took place, much less that from the position he was in that there was no way he could regain balance and make the throw back to first base.

So leaving in an out-of-focus image in an action sequence reflects a philosophy of sports shooting as much or more than it does a technical or technique problem, as in this case.

In a more general sense since most of the images posted here recently are from night baseball, I can't use really high shutter speeds and this affects sharpness on occasion, and certainly reflects the fact that I can't capture balls or extremities often without blur. If you remember my lacrosse pics, shot earlier in the day with stronger sunlight, focus was not a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.