One happy heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Feb 4, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

I was in the Viera Wetlands yesterday and I caught these shots of a GBH who had just speared a fish.

View attachment 4904

[/img]http://www.pbase.com/hpb/image/39389621.jpg[/img]

View attachment 4905
    [/img]

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Harry,

Great Heron shots!

Thanks,

3. The more I see of GBH's the more I realize what gluttons they are :) Good images.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Holy Cow Harry!!

Man oh, man!! What absolutely great shots Harry. Can I retire and move in with you?? I don't want to be here any more. I want to be there.... :p

Frank

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Harry,

Great shots. One proud birdie. Looks like he is showing it off to you.

Great Job..

Cheers
    Gale

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Re: Holy Cow Harry!!

Hey Frank,

Sure you can move in but you will have to do your own laundry and follow the rules of the house.

We are going to have a blast in a couple of weeks.

Harry

7. Harry cant wait to come and visit Viera with you these are beautiful shots

8. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Great captures Harry.

9. I'm gonna ask for a....

Florida Annoy Dewey and the Rest of the Country Forum :lol:

I eat fish that size too........

That is a very cool sequence, congrats.

Info on gear and distance please?

Thanks.......

Darn, those are purty......

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gordon. The GBH has only two thing on his/her mind food and procreation with food taking the priority. I've seen this fella a numbe rof times on my trips to the wetlands and this was the first time I've seen him move.

Harry

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Harry cant wait to come and visit Viera with you these are beautiful shots[/quote]

Hey Mike,

I'm really looking forward to seeing you all later this month. You will love the Wetlands, I went there yesterday and did around 200 shots in a little over an hour.

Harry

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Re: I'm gonna ask for a....

Thanks Bill. After 57 years in NYC I'm in overload trying to deal with the photo ops down here.

I was using my D100 and the 300mm/f4 lens with the Nikon 1.4 TC. I guess I was around 10-15 yards from the GBH when I took the shots.

Harry

13. Nice shots Harry. Looking forward to the shoot.

Too bad Dewey is the other side of the world. Poor guy, Washington State, doesnt it rain there 11months out of the year, and snow the rest?

Bill, Come On Down!

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Harris,

11 months :cry: OMG those poor people. Couldn't the UN or somebody help them?

Harry

15. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Harry,

Your pictures are always special. Do you miss the 80-400VR or are you using both equally now? No matter which one you get great shots.

Wish I could be there to see you at the 'shoot'.. I know this forum will be bombarded with hundreds of super pictures of east coast birds,

Best to you and Linda,
    Gaye

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gaye for the kind words. I'm still using my 80-400VR. I find it does better for me in low light than the 300mm/f4. The Wetlands aren't conducive to tripod shooting (you usually shoot from your car). I have someone who wants to buy it from me and I'm tempted to sell it because I want to get a new camera. The money from the sale of the lens would be a great help.

Sorry you won't be there later this month. Remember though that you are only a 2 hour drive from here. Anytime you want to come over I'm sure we could organize a mini-shoot.

17. I thought Gaye was coming. Dang, no normal folks are going to be there.

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Harris and Harry,

I sure wish I could be there but it just got too complicated with Stan's health issues ...so decided the best thing to do is wait for the next 'shoot'...I'll be there for sure and I'll think of you every minute of your upcoming weekend.

In fact I'll run over to Ding Darling both days just to be able to post some of my birdies and alligators.. don't want you guys to get too far ahead of me :wink:

And, Harry, that's not a bad idea about a mini shoot. I may take you up on that later... I'm getting a car with a GPS so that should guarantee that I'll get there..without the GPS I'm never sure where I'll end up :lol: AND don't forget it goes the other way too. Ding Darling has never been the same since our time there.. I think we 'brought it to its knees' :D

Know you'll have a great time and I'll be waiting for your posts. AND Harry, don't give up that 80-400VR.. You are a master with it and you make it sing :!: :!: :!: :!:

Gaye

19. Actually, it rains 14 months of the year and snows the other 3. At least get the facts straight if you want to dump on OUR state..... :wink: .

10-15 yards, that is great. The last GBH I was that close to was sitting on a dyke. I saw him, slowed the car down to park, he saw me slowing down and left. I'd kill to get that close to them here.