One last Kingfisher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 21, 2005.

1. This is another one I found from a few weeks ago. I kind of liked the pose so I am posting it. I labled it "inquiring minds want to know" or maybe it should be "the thinker".

original.

Then here is a picture of a scrub jay that has been hanging around our office. These are pretty rare around here.

View attachment 19796

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

That's the best KF shot I've seen to date !!

3. Ditto on the best kinfisher shot I have ever seen.
    Dave

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding Jim. That is the best kingfisher shot I have ever seen.

5. Than Kingfisher shot is pretty cool..

6. awesome shots, that's one pensive-looking Kingfisher.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Without a doubt, one of the best K-F shots I've seen, here, or anywhere else. Very well done. :smile:

8. Excellent, both of them...

9. How'd you get so close? You have him glued to that post?

Great shots, Jim!!

10. Great shot of the KF, I dig it...what lens did you use?

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    James/Jim :

That's outstanding. The exposure's just right, the composition of the bird across the frame is fun, and you've managed to be close enough to get great detail.

How far away were you ?

John P.

12. Holy smokes, now that is a Kingfisher :Shocked:

Okay, fess up, how did you do it?

13. WOW! Supershots, and Here I am struggling to see that it is a Kingfisher in my shots at 100% :)

Nicest I have seen! (since the last you posted)

Congratulations!

14. Thanks all for the very kind words. It sure helps to have such a great subject.

15. SO..........i guess this means you aint gonna tell us??????

16. Well to answer the question of how. Let me see, I would like to say it is great skill. The truth is these were at the Ballard Locks here in Seattle. For some reason the KF's there are so wrapped up in looking for food that they don't even care that people are so close. Also, like the National Parks, I just think they get used to having so many people around. There are fish ladders near where they like to perch and that is what draws them there.

17. Bret, this was with my Sigma 500 and 1.4tc.

18. Thanks John. I think for this shot I was 20 feet or so. There is one place they perch that was 8-10' away but the light was poor there.

19. Rory see my above post. Some times you get lucky. This like my earlier pictures still has some of the darn pipe in it. If I were really good, I would have put my branch there. Need to work on that trick some more.

20. Thanks. I hope to get together with you again soon. Oh, I have your cap to the camera for you.