One mean looking mother

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Hi! (Well, I did some editing as the first versions were somewhat dark)

#1 Here she is guarding the nest
    jtt002.

#2 Let´s take a closer look of her...
    jtt001.

#3...and another one...
    jtt003.

#4 still a little bit closer... A face that only a new born baby spider could love as much as a handful of nutcase macro enthusiastics
    jtt004.

#5 Perfect peach cheek
    jtt007.

All pics taken with Tamron 90, Kenko 1.4 TC, sb-600 + softbox, exept #4 with Tamron, Kenko, reversed Canon 50 1.4, selfmade diffuser + build-in flash...

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  2. I think she's pretty - to a point!! LOL VERY nice macros - love seeing bugs n such in macros, we can learn so much. She certainly had her eyes on you - all of them! Very good lighting job on a difficult subject.

3. Wonderful macro shots. The detail in that spider are amazing. Your right he is one mean looking guy.

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Hate bugs, but always love your pictures. Thank you. That Tamron seems to be pretty good and you handle it perfectly

5. Eight eyes (maybe more), one for each leg, nice one Mum ;-)

For the lay person, would you mind (if you can) show us an image of your setup for #4? I am curious about how the reversed 50mm is attached, I am assuming through a stop up/down and reversing ring? I have seen crude gaffa tape approach, etc. The home made diffuser would be interesting to witness too ;-)

Thanks Jukka. Great macro as always.

Regards,
    Jonathan

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice images...

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yikes, that looks about as creepy as the wooly-mammoth spider that crawled across my foot in the garden the other day......unfortunately there wasn't enough left of him after i hollered and squished him into the dirt to determine what he was!!! :eek: :confused:

Your shots are always spot on and I thank you for sharing them with us.

8. Leigh, you didnt!
    great shots Jukka

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots. You guys amaze me how close you get to these critters. They just sit there and let you shoot images of them. hummm

I am with Leigh, Stomp first ask questions later LOLOL

10. Thank you all for nice comments!

This is one of those spiecies that has a cross on their backs. When I was a kid I was told that if you killed a cross back spider either your mother or father will die... That´s sort of a old folk belief which I think that has something to do with the fact that they do have a cross on their backs...
    I don´t remember that we would have been afraid of these kind of spiders but more like cautious with them...

Jonatan: Yes, the reversed lens is attached with step down + reverse rings.
    Sure, I can post a pic of this set up tomorrow, so please, stay tooned...

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm always amazed that they will sit still long enough! Nice captures.

12. Thanks Baywing!

Sometimes they do that, just sitting there... I haven´t figured out yet what´re they motivs to do that :biggrin:

Here´s couple of pics of my reversed lens set up. Reversed lens is attached with 55->52 + 52<->52 macro coupler rings. Selfmade diffuser is made of a windshield washing fluid can. The plastic used in this purpose must be transparent white, I have seen pics of similar diffusers which is made of milk jugs, so that must be a good material for this...

IMG_3839.

IMG_3840.

13. Thanks Jukka for sharing your setup. The arrangement is very interesting and looks awesome. I might give it a try with my 105mm micro and 50mm combination, just need to get a 52 <-> 52 coupling ring.

As for the diffuser, I believe kramp uses a milk bottle, but I can't find the post off hand where he posted an image of his setup. I will probably use the milk bottle option too, as the kids go through litres of milk each week!

Regards,
    Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    That is one interesting lens setup :) Bravo

15. Hi Jonathan!

Yes, I got the tip from Kramp too. Here´s link for his set up:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=14383826

Hopefully you haven´t already read this, as I´m adding this part later...

Try it, I was really surprised how well it works. I haven´t shoot much with reversed lens because of flash problems. I used some reflector made of disposable cardoard plate attached with rubber band on SB-600... a sample:

oll046.

Well that work just fine, but was really akward to use being so flimsy. So, I started to search on forums and found this set-up and now I´m a happy camper. Happy adventures in the world of weird macro set ups :biggrin: !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005