One more 70-200VR + 500D + TC17E

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Lisa, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi all:

I just got the Canon 500D a few days ago after seeing some wonderful macros using this combination. I waited by the birdbath until I saw this guy. It is a 100% crop using my D70 and the SB800 iTTL/BL. I am very pleased with this combination, although it is somewhat heavy. I just started dabbling in macrophotography about a year ago, learning as I go along and I have been using the 60mm Micro but this gives a nice working distance and maybe I'll be able to capture an elusive butterfly one day. :D

I did a levels adjustment and USM (100, 1.0, 2)
    Thanks for looking.

original.

EXIF
    Camera Model: NIKON D70
    Date/Time: 2005:07:15 13:10:56
    Shutter speed: 1/80 sec
    Aperture: 22.0
    Exposure mode: Av
    Flash: NORMAL
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 200
    Lens: 70.0 to 200.0 mm
    Focal length: 340.0mm
    Focal length: 510mm (in 35mm film)
    AF mode: AF-S
    Image quality: FINE
    White balance: AUTO
    Saturation: Low
    Sharpness: NORMAL
    Contrast: AUTO
    Hue adjustment: -3

2. Looks like you've got a winning combo there, Lisa. How far away were you when you took this shot?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Really great shot! :)

3. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Distance....

Hi Virginia:

I was approximately 20 inches away give or take an inch. I didn't use a tripod, but I was leaning my elbow on the deck railing for stability as this is a heavy load for me. I was so surprised at how this turned out. I put the Canon 500D on the 17-55DX and it produces pretty good results at 55mm, but nothing like this. I can't afford a longer macro lens, so this combo will suit me just fine I think.

Thank you for your comments.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wonderful image Lisa. I truly don't have any experience with macro shooting but being a witness to this forum since I have become a member has certainly sparked an interest. I plan to pick up a 77mm 500d and give it a go for myself. I'm curious, what is the bee crawling on? A flower?

Thanks Lisa....

5. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Wasp...

Hi Frank:

My wasp was sitting at the edge of a birdbath.....it's so dry here, as you know, that you can get all kinds of critters fighting over the water.

Frank, I think I saw awhile back that you live in Downers Grove (If it's not you, then I apologize)......I lived there most of my life and visit that neck of the woods frequently.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Lisa

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yep...I live in Downers Grove...for the past 18 years!!! Love it here, but the trees are dying and the neighbors are considering planting cactus!!!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice avatar.... 8)

8. Nice capture Lisa!!! :D :D :D

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Lisa,

First of all, welcome to the Cafe. Looks like we have another macrophile on board (do you do any other kind of shooting as well??). 8)

Second, excellent capture. You definitely know what you are doing. ;-)

10. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Frank:

Thank you for your kind comments and the warm welcome. As for any other kind of shooting, I'm afraid I am limited to what is in and around my house as I am surrounding by small children and lots of pine trees.....kind of limits my opportunities.

However, I will be leaving for a trip to MN in a week and have purchased some nice equipment over the year, in anticipation of expanding my photo opportunities. I am hoping to see eagles, loons and lots of water!!

I'll tell you, Frank, I couldn't be happier with this combination even though it's a little on the heavy side. :D

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Lisa,

You aren't the only one on the Cafe with the lots of small kids syndrome. :lol:

We just had the first Nikoncafe picnic here in Huntsville, and there were several members with small children. They all had fun though.

The 70-200VR with and without the various TC's and the 500D is one heck of a lens. You'll get used to the weight, and as you say, it is well worth it. Can't wait to see your NM shots. :wink: