One more, a headshot of Megan with the red dress

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The image was severely cropped, and underexposed by at least 1/2 stop and has some serious noise issues. I used Grain Surgery on it, but pre-sharpened it 1st, which wasn't the right way of doing it. Any constructive comments welcomed 8)
    [​IMG]

2. It is a well composed image with nice even lighting Steve. I don't think the grain surgery did you any favors as her face is too smooth. I personally like to use Scott Kelby's process for a slight gausian blur for the skin with the eyes, mouth, etc., kept sharp. Her skin looks pretty good everywhere except her face and it seems to be a bit overdone. She is a lovely young lady and photographs well. Pretty smile.

3. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Hey Gordon,
    Can you tell me more about the the "Scott Kelby" process.
    I can't find anything on it. :(

4. Obtain Scott Kelby's book The Photoshop CS Book For Digital Photographers. It has numerous examples of techniques that can be used with PS CS. They are spelled out in a simple step by step process that is pretty easy to follow. I have learned a lot from reading this book and recommend it highly to anyone that needs help with PS CS.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You know what the biggest problem is with this shot?

The damn thing's OOF, that the problem. :evil: I went back and looked at the original nef, and it's simply not at all sharp. All I did was exacerbate the problem. Honestly, I didn't use much Grain Surgery, and she did overdo it on the foundation makeup a bit. Usually, I have to clean up at least some blems o the skin, but not this one, it was perfect. Damn focus problems with the outer reticles is what it is! 1/125th @52mm is 3x the focal length vs shutter speed, so I think I had that fast enough. Perhaps shooting at wide open didn't help either. That cam's going in for a checkup for sure now.
    Here's the EXIF,
    Nikon D2X
    Focal Length: 52mm
    Optimize Image:
    Color Mode: Mode I (sRGB)
    Long Exposure NR: Off
    High ISO NR: Off
    2005/07/31 08:23:29.9
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    White Balance: Auto
    Tone Comp.: Less Contrast
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Metering Mode: Spot
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Hue Adjustment: +3°
    Image Size: Large (4288 x 2848)
    1/125 sec - F/2.8
    Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
    Saturation: Normal
    Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
    Auto Flash Mode: i-TTL
    Sharpening: Normal
    Lens: 28-70mm F/2.8 D
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Image Comment:

6. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Steve you said it was underexposed by at least a 1/2 stop. I did a method where you go into Photoshop and do a selection just choosing the face mask. Then go to levels and see if the histogram shows over /under exposure. What I saw was a centered histogram. The only thing I did see were spaces on either side of the histogram showing lost information on the highlight and shadow side. Besides that and to me with this process it looked as if it wasn't underexposed. What do you think?

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Increased it by 1/2 stop in NC4

That's why it looks correct now. Also, I noticed in the exif that I mistakenly set the cam to -1/3 EV.

8. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Oh I didn't realize you had corrected it before posting. It did look dead on to me just by looking at it.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thaks Jim,

Too bad the pos pic isn't in focus! :evil:

10. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thank Gordon,
    Looks like I wil be off shoping this weekend ;)

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steve, have you tried 'Smart Sharpen"? I have found it to be quie effective at fixing oof shots, as long as they are not too oof (which this one isn't - it looks great at this size.)

And you're right NR. At iso200 Grain Surgery should be virtually undetectable. But why did you sharpen first then GS?

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Steve,

I can certainly understand your frustration at not getting the perfect image, especially since you are your toughest critic...but with the exception of what you are mentioning in the facial area of focus, the image is outstanding. Maybe I'm not helping by not being critical, but when I opened the thread and saw the image...all that came to mind was...WOW!

Keep up the great work with her and keep posting the images, many of us have little experience with portraits...it's nice to see some great examples to try someday.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    By the way, there is no sign of flat light on this shot. All the curved parts look real round.

Like her cheeks. ...

Is the backlighting natural light and front light flash?

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Guys, & Chris?

I'm the 1st to admit I have no clue how to properly use my SB800. I'm much more familiar, although far from adept at using studio strobes. They a lot simpler. Turn em on, adjust power, shoot. Will check out that sharpener prog you mentioned.