One more D2Hs test shot....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I got home today at about 5:15, fed the kitties, and headed out to set up the blind. Not much activity to speak of. Just one postable shot really, but at ISO800, I thought that it was worth showing. I've got to say, that I'm pretty impressed.

D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.4 TC:

Grackle at sundown:
    [​IMG]

More to come. :smile:

2. Not too shabby, Frank. Very nice. About how much (if any) of this result is from processing?

Did you mount up the D2H?

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Frank this is a very clean photo. Is the D2Hs a new camera for you. Only downside is I feel I still have a long way to go when I see photos like your's and someone like Jose. But we all have to start some where, And learn from those who are very good at what they do.:Crunk:

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Masony,

Almost none of this image can be credited to processing. I did blur the background a bit, but the detail of the bird is straight from the D2Hs.

I still haven't gotten any D2H comparison shots. I was out for about 1.5 hours, and got very, very few shot opportunities. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some test shots with the D2H this weekend.

5. That makes sense Frankony,

I can see a bit of noise on the bird but the background is creamy smooth. I would jump on this quality at 800 anyday.

6. I think I just read the D2H is 4 mpix.

7. Very impressive for ISO800. I'd say from just the few posting using the D2Hs that you've shared with us Frank, that the D2Hs is a keeper.

Louie

8. Looks good Frank. How do the wings look where they transition to all black when viewed at 100%?

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Here's a 100% crop of the transition area. Some noise for sure, but to be honest, I really didn't expect to be able to use this camera at ISO800 at all. To be sure, there is noise, and the resulting loss of details, but it is better than I expected.

I should note that there was very little light for this shot. As you can see from the reflection in the bird's eye, the sun was on the horizon, and what light there was came through the trees in my neighbor's yard. The shot was at 1/250 and f5.6 and was still underexposed by over a stop, so some of the noise was my fault.

[​IMG]

10. Frank,

That's certainly better then I thought it would be.

That "rough" border around the bird - is that the original background?

I'm impressed - we even get the "frame effect" for crops... :wink:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

Yes, the noise around the bird is the unblurred background (I did it less carefully that I should have :rolleyes:).

12. Looks good from Here!!! I'm not a Technocrat!!

13. Looks great to me. I can't believe the picture looks so good with only 4MP...hehe. I need to learn how to blur my backgrounds better. Great job Frank.