One more tern

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DiverX, Jul 13, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

A quick post from work....

Shot this one the other day near my home. I am playing with the different focus settings but still like the center spot for shots like this with lock on set to OFF. Lock on ON is just not fast enough to get a shot off like this, at least for me! I think that works well for something moving parallel to your position

D2x, 200-400VR @ 400mm, ISO 200, f4, 1/2000, HSC mode, hand held

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Another outstanding shot George. You need to come down to Merritt III and give us all some pointers. These are just too good. 8)

3. Awesome shot great persective I always look forward to your posts

4. I think my wife and I will be down that way in February. I will give you pointers if you give ME some!! :D

Thanks! Back to work now.... :x

5. Cool shot and VERY cool crop! :)

6. One good tern deserves another. I'm waiting for your post. :lol: Excellent image by the way.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The image is awesome....'nuff said!!!

8. I agree, great shot. When is Merritt III? 8)

9. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Very cool picture.

I've also been experimenting with the focus setting lately. For a shot against a sky and no distracting background, I've been using the group dynamic shot(the diamond shape in focus mode selector) then set the appropriate CSM to "closest". It seem to do excellent job in a given scenario.

--ricardo

10. Perfection :!: :!:

11. Beautiful shot, George! It sure shows how graceful those birds are.

12. Yes you are correct Ricardo, I have tried that exact same setting. Works great for this scene. In this spot there is a group of trees just to one side that they very often fly in front of and that setting gets messed up when the trees are in the shot. I found for this one area the center does work best no matter where they flew. I continue to play and learn the camera though and hit on some very cool stuff in a all blue sky, even the all focus points active works really well!

Thanks very much folks! Would love to hook up if we come down in February to Florida...which I know we will be! Should be around for 2 weeks so hope to meet some of you Fla folks and maybe find some good spots! So far we are thinking Everglades, Ding Darling, Marco Island, Venice Rookery...then????? :D

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    WOW! Great shot!