One more thing... Doug I painted your portrait

Hi all,

I know, this is a photography forum and I have posted a couple of photo paintings posts. I hope you guys don't mind. I have just found that this is such an excellent and fun way of interpreting a photograph and wanted to share with my good friends here. I won't post anymore on this subject after this but there is one site that, if you are interested, will show some interesting applications of what you can do with a photograph. I especially liked the collage technique.

Here is a website with some interesting photo retouching techniques. (I also found it interesting that he charges $2000 and up for editing a photo).

http://jeremysutton.com/index.html

Scott

I have been wanting a retouching forum here since the beginning. It is just starting to catch on a bit. We have some great retouchers. Doug Barber and Jarrell Conley and Chris, Iliah is a PS guru and so is Bjorn, and Yves and several others here. Wish they would do and share more.

Thank You for getting it going again.

Wish we could get Chip Springer here from the retouching forum on DPR.. Oh you know who else is good, Gary W aka (djuanhundred)
Also Catz aka Melissa

Real Name
Chris
Scott - no need to be appologetic about painting on photos. In the film days hand coloring and other painting techniques were highly sought after. Sutton's work is very pleasing to the eye, and I'm glad that you've pointed to them.

Not only that, but I'd like to be able to charge $2000 for an editing job. (Then I CAN afford to retire!)

Chris is right and Gale is right Scott. It is perfectly OK to post your picture paintings here, and a re-touching forum would probably attract a very good following. We will look at it seriously.

The BandWagon...I'm Jumping On the...

BandWagon. Apologize? No way, Scott, I sure won't accept you NOT posting more of these dangit. Put me on the list for a "retouching" forum and if not, then just post the dang things in the appropriate "Subject Matter Forum".

As long as you start them with a Nikon camera of course :wink:

I think, especially in the digital age, that retouching is an important part of the entire photographic process that begins with the capture. I'd love to see more of your work, and also think a Retouching Forum would be a wonderful addition; it's my favorite DPR forum (in part, perhaps, because it's the least combative :wink: )

gho

Re: One more thing...

Scott Sherman said:
I know, this is a photography forum... ...I hope you guys don't mind...
I dunno, but I thought that the "General Discussion" forum was the lounge of this board. It states in the description "Discuss anything on your mind. Just keep it clean!" which means to me that you can post any subject matter you like and nothing is "off topic" in this particular forum.

It's actually quite surprising to me how many times I see "OT..." in a thread title, as how can something be off topic in an off topic forum?

Well, I am so glad to see your positive and encouraging comments, I was a bit concerned that some might see the painting manipulation as being a distortion of the photograph when we are all trying so hard to achieve the perfect photographic image. I am learning that there are others who share this interest as well. As I mentioned, I am a total newbie at the digital painting side of photography but I have found it facsinating and will continue to explore and experiment.

I would personally love to see an additional section for image editing and manipulation or painting. We are in the age of digital images and I think we should be open to pushing the limits of our pixels. There are already rules for those using the forum and I think photos that are edited and submitted could be restricted to Nikon photographer's images to keep the forum on track. Most seem to respect the rules of the road.

Thanks again for your positive fedback.

Hi Scott:
I have been watching your posts with interests as I used to do a bit of that type of application.
A "retouching board" would be a cool addition. At least then I (might) have the ability to contribute at least a little.....
Here is a process to play with Scott....
It again is an artistic bend of a Photo...

8523841.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I sure would love to see how others retouch their photos. Retouching and/or adding effects have saved more than my share of slightly OOF/mediocre photos as well as enhanced some of the better ones.

Doug:

VERY nice artistic bend. I like this a lot.

Hi Doug,
Here is a quick painting, just played with it for a few minutes. Mixed oil paint, water colors and chalk for an interesting effect.

What do you think?
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and the original for comparison;
View attachment 12392

:lol:

Good Morning Gale,
My goodness, you are an early riser, or do you end your day now like I do. It's about 3:30 AM and I am just getting ready to call it a day. (yaaaaawn)

Thanks for your kind words. I just love what can be done with a photo now a days. Since I have never been a very good artist, this is the next best thing and I really had fun doing it.

Scott my day is just starting. Usuall get up at 4AM EDT..

Yes the possibilities are endless. I am no artist at all.

Have a real hard time undersatnding layers in PS, even though everyone says it is a peice of cake. Well guess my cake is so old it turned to stone.

I have a little paint prog that came free with my wacom tablet think it is called painting essentials by corel and just haven't had the time.

Another one they use alot on Reouching, DPR, search for paint engine, it is free. I have it somewhere. Haven't had time to get into that one iether. GIMP, also free, has some painting abilities I like, also.

Corel Paint is to expensive, for me. Maybe one day when I pay off these darn lenses.

Scott Sherman said:
Hi Doug,
Here is a quick painting, just played with it for a few minutes. Mixed oil paint, water colors and chalk for an interesting effect.

What do you think? :lol:

I'm not sure I'm keen on the lighter parts around the eyes.
This looks quit close to a process called Ink scetching. It allows you to take a photo and turn it into an scetch but then use ink to blead the color back in.
The trick with this type of thing seems to be to add a little color into a pencil scetch that will (accent) the piece. But not to much or you loose the scetch effect.
Yours is a good go Scott....
Well done

Scott:

You did a great job! And you just started using Painter? Some people take to this program quickly and you appear to be one of them. Have you joined an internet photo-art forum?

Frank said:
I'm not sure I'm keen on the lighter parts around the eyes.
This looks quit close to a process called Ink scetching. It allows you to take a photo and turn it into an scetch but then use ink to blead the color back in.
The trick with this type of thing seems to be to add a little color into a pencil scetch that will (accent) the piece. But not to much or you loose the scetch effect.
Yours is a good go Scott....
Well done

Hi Frank, Thanks for the thumbs up and the constructive critisizm, as I have said in the past, I enjoy praise but need (constructive) critisizm. I was not sure about the eyes as you mentioned either when I studied it a bit. I had a bit of trouble trying to envision the color image and had to go on instinct and imagination for the coloring. As we all know from our photography, skin tones are a bit complex and consist of many different hues and shades to make up the total look. I used probably a couple of dozen or more shades and hues of red, orange and yellow to come up with something that looked realistic and pleasing (IMHO). If you just pick a color that looks like the right skin tone and paint it in all over the face, the end result is a cartoonish looking charactorization. And you have to take into consideration that this is only my third project or effort so I have much to learn. I definitley appreciate any feedback however and look forward to hearing anything that anyone here cares to offer in the way of making me better at what I have done.

Lisa said:
Scott:

You did a great job! And you just started using Painter? Some people take to this program quickly and you appear to be one of them. Have you joined an internet photo-art forum?

Hi Lisa,
There may actually be something to what you said about taking to it. My wife who I describe affectionatley as being left brained is the smarter one, she is good with numbers and business while I have always enjoyed the arts (although I claim no artistic skill for freehand art) which she says makes me right brained. She has dabbled in Photoshop and is no slouch when it comes to photo editing with sliders and crop tools etc. but she gave the painting application, which requires a lot of freehand use of the brush with textures and different mediums a try and just threw her hands up in frustration. She was impressed with what she has seen me do (especially as a total beginner) and wanted to do it herself but became frustrated and gave up. So it may be that at least some aptitude for this type of "art" is a benefit. At the risk of sounding immodest, I love the way most of what I have done has turned out and especially because of the way it interacts and intersects with my photography hobby. So Thanks for your encouraging words.

Latest threads

Top Bottom