One of my best Australian pelicans

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bestgolfer, Aug 28, 2008.

1. 2804912823_2a20aec5b5_b.png

I have taken a lot of pelican photos, but I consider this to be one of my best.

Late afternoon light on a cloudy day. I particularly like the gunmetal colour of the water.

Hope you enjoy it too.

D80 with 70-300VR.

2. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I think the shot is great of the bird but it needs PP to bring out the details, colors and brightness as this is a little dark.

3. 2807464796_c8de469e55_b.png

Yes, I could see why you would say this....on my 24 inch iMac screen it looks rather magnificent, but some degrading on uploading seems to occur at times.

I upload the RAW image from Aperture directly to Flickr.

Anyway, have had another go at PP (it was PP'd)....not sure if you will like it any more than the last one....I was aiming for the 'gunmetal' water colour.

4. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    that is a little brighter but still lacking pop and looks a little washed out...I did a little PP to the pic as well, and think this makes the bird pop more..I am only posting this as you asked for CC, I can take it back down if you like as well :smile: Also..I am by no means a PP expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

it all comes down to the image you are trying to capture however

2804912823_2a20aec5b5_b.jpg

5. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Nice work Ron. I like your first edit best BTW.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Ron,

your best shot to date here on the cafe! But there may be some other great shots I have not seen, but of the ones I have this is very nice.

First I like the closeup of the shot which shows great feather and bill/beak detail.

Granted a touch of reflection in the eye would be nice, but the skies gave a very nice color cast to the water. I love the grey gunmetal look to the water. A nice change of pace.

I also like the space around the image you have and the reflection being nearly complete of the pel's head.

The beak just touching the water adds interest and you did a nice job metering both the whites and blacks on this shot. On a sunny day this would have been 5000 times harder.

I think your post processing in the first shot is going in the right direction. I added a touch of brightness, a touch of midrange in levels, moved the black point in levels up a notch too. A tiny tiny amount of contrast helped the pop also. In addition I also did a slight slight saturation on the beak and eye only.

I did a final slight sharpening with b slecetive brush tool to showcase the great body feathers, but not to much, you have to watch the top of the head to show the problems with much more sharpening.

Hope these thoughts and my work help you out.

Cheers,

Wade

Original:
    2804912823_2a20aec5b5_b.png

tweaked from your first PP atempt:
    [​IMG]

7. Very nice!
    Cute bird. Any in flight?
    Fred

8. Thanks very much Wade, tried to get a bit closer to your effort, but, in the process have lost my gunmetal water effect. I note you use Capture as your PP, I use Aperture.

I take my hat off to you!!

DSC_9564%20-%20Version%202.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  9. Yes, I do, will post a few later.

I have got one now, taken a while back in JPG.

DSC_3816.png

10. a bit of an attempt from me

361778761_6sjpX-XL.jpg

11. a very pretty picture
    i really didn't do too much
    brightened it
    warmed it
    sharpened ONLY the eye area
    feathers are "funny" with sharpening and i didn't want to mess with YOUR "LOOK"

i used some SHADOWS AND HIGHLIGHTS to bring out some of the details in the darker feathers...
    and i increased the color saturation by 12%

12. Thanks Greg. Nice effort too.

13. Lisa, nice, but my gunmetal colour is lost!!

14. Oh my !!! that is a fine shot. Very nice.