One of my favorite models

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Jul 6, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    B. Jane is one of my favorite models to work with. We shot a couple of looks earlier this week. Makeup by Kay Castro Here's a sample:

Something 'clubby'
    [​IMG]

Another one of my Angelina Jolie cover rip-offs...
    [​IMG]

I need to remember the baby oil for shots like this. Either that or learn how to get that 'Maxim sheen' in PP.

Comments appreciated as always.

2. sharkync

sharkync Guest

Like both and really like the lighting in the first. Care to share your light setup?

3. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Jack.

The first image was a two light set with the key being a 36x48" softbox with grid fairly high and camera right about 30 degrees (see the shadow on the wall for approx positioning). Fill was provided by a large bookend and a second strobe with 7" reflector and 10 degree grid. Since the big box was high, I used the second source to create the catch-light and provide a little bit of fill. It was down at least 2 stops from the main.

BTW, the backgrounds for both of these shots show off the freshly textured and repainted walls in our main shooting area. That's another reason for my hiatus. We've put a bit of time and effort into upgrades. I'll shoot some shots next week to 'show off' :)

4. WOO HOO.......new paint on the walls means time for another workshop, doesn't it??:biggrin:

Like always Scott, great shots!

5. I've never tried THIS TECHNIQUE but I bookmarked it years ago so I must have found something useful about it.

Nice shots... The shadow in her right eye in #1 isn't to my liking but that's just my opinion.

6. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    You have such a great eye for complimentary backdrops/grounds. I'd maybe try to clone out the shadow from her left hand in the first....tough one with the fishnet.....it makes her thigh look large / dimpled.

7. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Woody and Stuart.

I've bookmarked that shoot on OMP myself, but Diffuse Glow can cause havoc if you have any bright portions in the image. It usually means a ton of masking and to be honest, I need to get it right in the camera unless I'm getting the big bucks for a full edit. I have three shoots next week. Hopefully I can remember to add it to my preshoot checklist.

Here's a better shot of Bertie in the black dress:

[​IMG]

8. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks David.

And yes, it is about that time...

9. Nice looking model, and excellent lightning.

#3 is the winner for me.

10. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Paul.

11. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Okay.....this shot helps me understand why she's one of your favorites. I was surprised that you said that based on the first posting, but this one......another league. Yeah........she's good! Excellent work. And as always....great lighting.

12. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Stuart.

Here's a couple more that she wants for her book. Personally I don't think they're great, but the customer is always 'right'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the moire on the web images. It's from the down sizing. The originals are moire free.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice series, I especially like number 3 and the last one. Your control and understanding of lighting is incredible.

14. Scott,

Those are great ! Thanks for sharing.

I hope you don't mind but I would like to point out possibly lack of "post processing" in 2nd photograph around left hip / leg ? It looks a bit unprocessed from the rest of the body.

What do you think ?

15. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Jeff. I hope I've learned a thing or two since you taught me the advantages of raw processing. I'm still envious of your knowledge of Camera RAW and color. And of course your fantastic landscapes. I think it's easier to make my own light rather than depend on the real 'hot light'.
    Her left or camera left? The reason I ask is that camera left she has a tattoo that I removed and spent about 15 minutes 'fixing'. The other side is some shadowing I think that was enhanced from the web downsizing. I brought up the full size image and it looks fairly clean. I'll have to revisit it. Thanks for the compliment and for pointing that out to me. Sometimes you can stare at an image for hours and not see the most simple mistake :redface:

16. Her left. Maybe its just shadow but it looked "out of place" with well post processed rest of the body !!!

17. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Scott, this is another wonderful series from you. The lighting is gorgeous...and so is the model. #3 really stands out for me. Great stuff!

18. I like the way you have handled the lighting on the lovely model. Well done Scott.