One of my juvenile ospreys passed away :(

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Anthony747, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hi All, The last time I visited this osprey nest was a little over 3 weeks ago, I didn’t return to this nest because they were young pretty young and not much to photograph (see first photo). I’m distress to report that only one osprey survived this nest. I was looking forward to shooting them both as they grow up but I guess one will do. Did you know that the dead juvenile doesn’t go to waste…its eaten.

Looks like a female…more to come in the coming weeks before they leave my state of New Jersey in September!

Thanks for looking!
    Anthony

Equipment: D200, Nikkor 300mm F/4, Nikkor 1.4 TC

This was shot about three weeks ago
    [​IMG]

These were shot yesterday, July 24.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    That's a shame, but I guess nature usually has a reason. Nice shots of the survivor and parent.

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Beautiful Shots. Sorry to hear the bad news.

4. Anthony, not something that is uncommon with any raptors as the first born many times will force the second to it's death by either not allowing it any food brougt in by the parents and then throwing it out of the nest. It also could have been killed by another raptor if the nest ws left unattended for an length of time. This is more so if the first born is a female as they are larger and stronger. I have had that several times with eagles and I lost an entire nesting of 4 red shoulder hawks to a raccoon getting into the nest. This year the red shoulders lost one and they again had 4 but this time I am sure it was because it was the last born. When 4 are born there is about a 10 to 12 day interval from the first egg to the fourth and there is a 33 to 35 days of incubation. Keep an eye out and get what is left.The one looks great.
    Lou

5. Thanks Hunter and Jimmy!

Anthony

6. Interesting Lou. Looking at my first shot I noticed that the osprey on the left looks a lot thinner.

Anthony

7. That sucks. It's always nice to see ALL the young grow up and fledge. There were several losses at my nests this year. One nest ..in fact lost all the young. Very sad. Usually our losses involve one of the young being pushed out of the nest and into the deep fast moving water. The parents eitehr don't attempt to pick them out or can't.

That 2nd shot is sweet. Nice job.

You mentioned it's a female. Do you mean the adult or the juvenile...and I'd be interested in knowing how you are making this identification ?? I know a lot of people incorrectly idedntify ospreys as female due to the necklace (throat markings). Unfortunately this is not an accurate way to determine the sex of ospreys as BOTH females and males CAN have the throat markings...or BOTH can be without the throat markings. I've seen both cases first hand with our local birds. Size is also often used as the female will grow much larger than the male. I find the best way is to watch the birds on a regular basis and during breeding/mating season..it becomes pretty obvious who's the female and who's the go-for. *-) Careful observation is required here as well, because both birds share all the duties of building the nest, fishing, sitting on the eggs and raising the young. Truly an amazing experience to watch this show from start to finish. I feel very lucky.

Thaks for sharing these.

8. It is sad but the way of nature and survival There is often a 4 to 10 day difference in chicks hatching and the older more dominate chick will often take most of the food. Once the chick is felt by the parent to be weak it will be killed or pushed from the nest.

9. It is unfortunately but a lot of species lay extra in hopes that at least one will survive. A lot of people think that pandas have only one offspring at a time. Not so - a lot of times two are born but only one survives.
    I guess with ospreys, this gives the winner the fighting instinct it will need later in life to survive.
    Sorry to hear about the loss but at least you have one remaining chick to shoot. Keep on posting the updates for us to enjoy. Thanks for sharing these.

10. Well Anthony the info I give is not carved in stone so yes it is possible you still have the second or smaller of the two left. It also looks like you can get pretty close to the nest so maybe some disturbance took place by someone else and one fell out. I guess what I am trying to say is anything is possible and its just to bad but at least there is still one left. BTW are you still seeing both parents?
    I'll be heading to Cape Cod tomorrow to take some photos of the ospreys and some visits to some nice marshes so I hope the rest of the nesting you have is good.
    Lou

11. Hi Mike, The female osprey is larger and has more chest markings...that's what of read and been told by some very knowledgeable ornithologist in my area.

Thanks, Anthony

12. Thanks Gary and Sandi! I'll stop by the nest tomorrow morning.

Anthony

13. Yes Lou both parents are around. I female is much more protective and sticks around the nest, on the other hand the male just take off not to be seen until I leave.

Anthony

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Anthony, that is sad. Hopefully though, the remaining chick will thrive and will join the parents in continuing the species in your area.

15. Hi Frank, I hope so!

Anthony