One of our prettiest damsels

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by tojor, Jul 11, 2007.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    One of our prettiest damselflyes are the Calypteryx splendens. As they only live in clean streaming water with high oxygin concentration they are a little hard to find. I found a place yesterday where I spotted a few of them. They are more shy than other damsels so I just got a few shots of them.

I wish the background would have been nicer but I had to take what I could get.

original.

View attachment 105225

I also took a shot our smallest dragonfly, not much bigger than the damsels, the Sympetrum sanguineum, sitting on a flower and covered with pollen.

View attachment 105226

2. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    1st and last are very nice! From the last I have made a close-up yesterday. At least I think it is the same one.
    Love the way you took the standpoint thrue the wing. Btw what the heck was it doing on that flower??

cheers, Mark

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful...

4. Nice work Torben, love #1.

Alex

5. absolute beauties!

6. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Shots like these ones made me buy a macro lens... Very well done. Awesome colors. Thanks for sharing.

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Those are beautiful damsels, Torben. I'm curious about the Sympetrum sanguineum -- it's apparently indigenous to Europe, but I didn't find a size for it. [wondered how it compared with our Perithemis tenera]

8. Nice colours, and details in the wings.

9. Very beautiful creatures, nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

10. batangueno

batangueno

May 10, 2007
    Philippines
    Love those macro shots. Excellent work.

11. 1&2 are awesome !

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Mark. It was the first time I got to take pictures of the C. splendens so I had to get what I could take. I've never seen the Sympetrum sanguineum on a flower before and with pollen on its face. I flew away right after the picture was taken.

Thanks Gale. I'm glad you liked them.

Thanks Alex. My favorite too. I had to stand out in the water to get this shot and a thunderstorm was approaching so I was in a hurry to get back to my car with only my feet wet.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Dave. They are indeed beatiful creatures.

Macro can be quite addictive Jorge. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks Bob. I think the Sympetrum sanguineum is a bit longer (30 cm) but slimmer than the Perithemis tenera. I've never seen an Eastern Amberwing but I would love too.

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Victor. I find their wings quite spectacular.

Thanks for commenting Tom. I appreciate it.

15. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks for your comment Batangueno.

Thanks Randy. My first shots of this damsel.

16. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Just a guess, but I think you meant 30mm:biggrin:. Thanks for the info Torben -- my only shot of Perithemis tenera (20mm) this year is here.

17. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    :redface: I can't believe I wrote that. Thanks for the correction Bob. I hope that none of my former math students read this thread. :biggrin:

Nice shot Bob. The wings seems quite big for such a small body.

18. Wonderful shots, Torben, just lovely. Thanks for standing in the water to get the shot-well worth it.

19. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thank you Dave. I saw this one as I was heading home but it was sitting in the middle of the stream on a plant so I just had to get closer. I just got to my car before the rain started so I was only wet up to knees. :biggrin:

20. Nice work with the splendens - I agree that are lovely.
    I'm surprised that sanguineum is your smallest dragon, here in the UK we have Sympetrum danae which is distinctly smaller: we call it the black darter and it's one of my target species for August ( if it stops raining a little).

Alan