1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

One of the many things I've learned on here

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Phillip Ino, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Metering for the outside and using my flash for the inside :biggrin:. Gotta love the Cafe :smile:

Even caught the rainbow :eek: 

2807971905_13ac0a5fae_b.

2. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

It's a great place to learn, as you have clearly demonstrated! Well done, you're going to have fun with this

Don't hesitate to try this technique elsewhere though, including outside. And experiment with different lighting balances, under-exposing the external light, making them equal, they all have a different effect on the final pic.

Even for family 'snaps' it can turn them into much more acceptable images.

Here's an example, using the on-board flash of a D70 on manual power to bring light to the shaded features of my 'lot'. Just a snapshot as I say, but more enjoyable through making lighting work harder.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  3. great thread
    wonderful pictures, francis and peter

the education provided here on topof the friendships which we have all created, is nothing short of magical

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks, Peter. That is a really nice shot....lighting is very well balanced. I will get to try this for a shoot tomorrow that is outdoors.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks for looking, Greg. Just wanted to let it be known that I appreciate this place so much :biggrin:

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Peter -

That is a great shot!

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks Gary. Just a family snap of the day we spent in London (Trafalgar Square in this case).

In case it is of interest, I prefer to go for a almost equal balance of ambient and flash in these conditions so set the flash power to manual to a known distance/aperture (and to avoid pre-flash) and then let the camera work out the shutter speed - easier on the D70 with a higher max shutter sync.

8. tfboy

tfboy

Aug 22, 2008
    Berkshire, UK
    Great shot, Peter.
    I guess I should have looked at this thread before posting mine - exactly what I'm after (apart from the small aperture thrown in).

Any tips on how to best "meter on the outside and flash on the inside" bit? :biggrin:

9. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

See our discussion elsewhere for some examples - other thread

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Here's one from Saturday. SB-800 shot thru white umbrella to camera left.

2812023191_0b4161543d_b.

11. lighting looks awesome!

12. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thank you :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.