One Rocking Lil' Girl

Discussion in 'People' started by Ppub101, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey guys, I visited my friend and took a picture of his wife's daughter Rocking!!! It was in horrible lighting, but I used my 85 1.8, I think I shot this at f/2.0 with bounce flash off the celling. I know its not great, but it puts a smile on my face and I thought I would share it.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your time

Paul

Kaylin-1.

2. LOL, Cute shot

3. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC

4. Was it your intent to make this a hi key image? I also wondered why it was saved as a gif rather than a jpeg?? It is a cute shot but lacks contrast and the focus is soft leaving the girls eyes rather lifeless. I noticed that your histogram had little or no detail on the left and the data was pushed up against the right. I hope you really were looking for feedback and will take this in the spirit it was given.

Bounce lighting from the ceiling can be quite effective, especially if some of the light is directed forward. I feel that this image falls flat so to speak because it is either overexposed or you have pushed the data to the right in post processing to achieve a high key look? Have you applied any sharpening? Crop wise I feel that the bottom of the frame is pushing up against the girls chin too much and just backing off on that a little would improve the look. Also, I would not let the right side of the frame touch the girls arm if you have that data in your original image.

5. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC

Thank you very much for the feed back Gordon, I appreciate it greatly! It was not my intent, I was just bored and applied a lot of ridiculous things to this in photo shop just to try different things out. I will re size and post the original photo with absolutely nothing done to the image. Maybe you can give me more information on ways to make it a better photo. Thank you again for all the time you put into your critique!

Paul

6. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Here is the original just cropped and resized. Saved as a jpeg so you can see the data.

KaylinOriginal.

Love to hear how you all would work this photo. Please feel free to do anything you want to it for an example. Thank you again for your time.

Paul

7. Actually Paul, after playing with your image I will have to say that you did pretty good with your post processing. This is a difficult image because it is underexposed and the WB is way off. This combination builds up noise in the image which must be dealt with. Like you I tried a number of different things in an attempt to recover this image. I ran it through Neat Image to bring the noise under control, I adjusted the color, increased the contrast and brightness, converted the image to B&W using a yellow filter, cropped it, and lastly adjusted the levels a little. I don't know that my rendition is any better than yours but will post it for what it is worth.

original.

8. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    I really like what you did on the photo Gordon. One question I have for you, is how did you use a yellow filter to convert it to black and white? I have never heard of this technique and I am very interested in how that is done. Thanks again for your time, I think you made the image look much better. Thank you again!

9. I use a relatively inexpensive b&w conversion plug in by Fred Miranda. It gives you lots of options when doing your conversion and only costs about $30 as I remember. You can try the different options and see which you like the best and it is very fast and easy to do.