1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

One SB600/Lightstand/Umbrella-Best way to use it?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ERAUGrad04, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    Hello All! I recently took the plunge and picked up a SU-800 to get my SB-600 off the camera. Just playing around the house I can already see a massive improvement in image quality. I just recieved my 8' Impact lightstand with a 43" Wescott shoot through umbrella with umbrella bracket from B&H today. I am planning on adding another light/stand/umbrella to my collection, just not before I get the hang of off camera flash.

So with all of that said, what would be the best way to use only 1 light for portraits? Place it just above eye level to camera left/right? With the SB-600, what kind of working distances can I expect from subject to stand?

Thanks for all the help!!

Morgan

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    For portraits, the closer the better. Get a good lighting book and practice with the one light to achieve loop, closed loop, Rembrandt and butterfly lighting patterns.

3. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL

Ok...i give. What are loop, closed loop, Rembrandt and butterfly lighting patters?

What book would you recommend??

Thanks!!

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    There are dozens out there. "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" by Christopher Grey is a good place to start.

5. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    If I could use one word, I'd use 'Creatively'

The Master Lighting Guide is good for a foundation and you can only expand from there

6. Here's an approach to an indoor one flash portrait.

It will give you results like this.

View attachment 240118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.