One shot from this evening...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by 3stones, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Do I need to warn everyone this is a bird thread?

Anyway too late;-)

I posted a swan thread in dpreview a few days ago. I memtioned I had two regrets: one was overcast weather and another I didn't use fill flash. Ok this evening was beautiful and I did use flash. Here is one of shots,

http://www.pbase.com/3stones/image/39367309
    [​IMG]

Critiques are welcome. Thanks.

2. Well, so far the only critique is that I, for one, think that pbase ought to pay you guys for every darned Red-X that shows up. Looking forward to seeing the image. Why don't you post a link as well? I'd like to see the Swans, I am going to shoot the Fly-Out again this Saturday morning.

3. Lovely image Steve, especially the golden glow of the water. Nicely done. By the way I had to go to properties, copy your URL and then go to your site to view it.

4. Same here. The "show picture" didn't work, but a copy into a new browser window did.

Now, for the image. Not only is the "golden glow" very nice, but I am most intrigued by the water droplets. Head just came out of the water?

Nice job,

5. Thanks. I took the shot just right after the swan pulled its head from water and before it ducked again. The fill flash did help bring out the droplets.

6. I like this image a lot steve....
    It has a good warm feel to it.
    I think if it was mine, I (might-try) to see what a little closer crop would do for it. I think it would make the swan pop a little more and really bring out the water drop's
    Oh well that is just my .02

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh man, I absolutely love the orange glow!

Very Nice, thanks for posting.

8. Very nice

3stones
    Looks nice great warm color and the fill flash highlighted the water droplets just enough to make them stand out a bit more very sweet shot.

9. JC

JC

Jan 27, 2005
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The glow! It's all about the glow. Except that the pose is terrific, and the drops are intriguing. OK, it's about more than the glow, but that IS what thrilled me first.

I go along with Doug (if I may) with regard to cropping. I'd cut off a bit from the bottom to emphasize the swan's reflection and highten the effect of the water drops.

Great shot.

Joel

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice 3....

Like everyone else, I love the golden glow *and* the sparkley water drops. Not a very original response I know, but hey, what more can be said about an excellent shot.... :)

Let's see more.

Regards,

Frank

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Critiques are welcome. Thanks.[/quote]

Critique what.. That is beautiful. Wow on the magic colors. Love Swans too.

Cheers
    Gale

12. Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here is a cropped version:

http://www.pbase.com/image/39398556
    [​IMG]

I didn't crop out any horizontally because I liked the ripple circle around the swan. I don't usually give a title to my own photo. For this one, however, I had a Chinese title and the Chinese title means "look at one's image in the mirror and lament one's lot" (Chinese idiom). The droplets on the bird left looks like tears. Does it make sence???

P.S. Why all the sudden, I became steve. Do I look like steve? I'm a prairie dog:D .

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I didn't crop out any horizontally because I liked the ripple circle around the swan. I don't usually give a title to my own photo. For this one, however, I had a Chinese title and the Chinese title means "look at one's image in the mirror and lament one's lot" (Chinese idiom). The droplets on the bird left looks like tears. Does it make sence???

P.S. Why all the sudden, I became steve. Do I look like steve? I'm a prairie dog:D .[/quote]

Beautiful shot Steve, err Prairie Dog. err oh whatever

Your decision on the crop is on the mark. Your title makes a lot of sense.