One thing leads to another.....vehicle repairs.

Last week on Thursday night my trucks front hub, for the lack of a better word, exploded 3 blocks from home. Wheel didn't come off, but was at a nice 'cant'. Good thing I was in town and not on the highway. Well the shop I took it to, well towed it to, said they'd have it done by sunday night never touched it until Monday morning. Got it back Monday night.

Come yesterday going to work, the car or truck in front of me kicked a rock up and smack right into the windshield putting a nice chip and small crack about 1/4 inch. Easily fixed. Going home, the temps started dropping into the low teens. Going down the highway to home, the road was pretty rough from snow and ice buildup. Literally watched the crack start making its way across the windshield. Yea. Today its about 7" from the pass side.

But on the bright side, its going in Friday for a new windshield. A repair would had cost $135. New windshield installed on this truck is, get this, $230 installed with tax. So basically its for the most part a wash to just replace it on this truck vs fixing a chip and having a slight blemish to see.

Been a good truck for the last 180K miles. Other than the typical GM rocker rot, its only been on a tow truck twice. Starter went out last year 20 miles from home, and the hub this year. Today in -30F temps sitting outside all night, it fired right up like summer. Today after work, fired right up. Most everyone else you could hear the batteries 'moan'. Then again I usually install much larger capacity batteries (cca's) than stock.

I hear you... when it rains, it pours. Ever since I bought a used 2008 Suburban with low mileage 3 summers ago, it's been pouring for me, including but not limited to a new engine. First, and likely last, GM product I will ever purchase.

I guess I've been lucky, but I'm on my third Chevy Tahoe. The '96 had a few problems but the 2002 and now this 2011 have been bullet-proof. Zero repairs for anything, just routine maintenance.

At least in florida, if you have auto insurance with comprehensive coverage, they are REQUIRED to repair or replace damaged windshields for free. No deductible, no points, no nothing. I have had several replaced over the years- might be worth looking into.
These things seem to come in 3's:)
Good luck
Gary

Living in Idaho, land of rocks in the road I have a glass replacement rider on my insurance. I get a new windshield yearly. A few weeks ago I was driving, turned the defroster on and watched while the windshield very slowly crack from the drivers side to the passenger side. It had taken a big rock hit a couple months prior and had a small chip which I ignored. I’ll get it replaced when the temperatures warm up, the folks that replace them have told me the sealant doesn’t set up well if it’s too cold. They replace them in my driveway.

Now that all cars are mostly made and tested by robots, they are pretty much all great.

I remember selling my (bought new) '71 Corvette at 44,000 miles after spending more on repairs than it cost new. The 12,000 mile warranty was not nearly enough.

New glass in today. Yippie. BUT had a scare this morning on the way to work. For some weird reason the truck decided to go into "reduced power mode" and engine light came on when I got to a stop light about 10 blocks from work. Ended up doing 10-15mph all the way since it wouldn't go any faster.. At lunch started the truck, no more "reduced power mode" warning but the engine light was still on. Engine revved fine, drove the lot fine, throttle response was fine. Dunno. Left work to go home, engine light on yet. Truck ran totally fine the 28 miles home. Changed out of work clothes and left to go to get the glass replaced. Engine light was OFF and everything was all hunky dory.

Guessing because of the big temp shift early this morning, from -30F to 18F, it caused havoc with one of the sensors. On the way home it did have a slight running rich smell. Coming back from the glass shop, nothing. Guessing the TPS was a bit wonky and cleaned itself out.

Going out tomorrow to look at new trucks, well more likely used. No way I can justify $55K for a pickup. Granted I do keep vehicles a long time. 90 GMC had for 8 yrs, 98 Dodge had for 14yrs, this one for a tick over 6yrs. I do get my money out of them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom