one thing my D2x does well at...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by cwilt, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    catching lighting...:biggrin:

350097822_ceA47-O.jpg

2. WOW. I had to laugh when I checked your EXIF - Light Source - fine weather. :smile:

Marlene

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Lightning has a purplish color and setting the WB to daylight is the easiest way to get that. :wink:

4. Excellent catch Charles. That is a huge lightining strike. I see that you used 10 sec. at f8. Was the lens uncovered for the full 10 sec.??

5. Very impressive!! I tried to do this down at my parents and kept missing the bolts. :rolleyes:

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It was, but that was only a single bolt.

With practice you can guess at the timing for the next strike. There is a rhythm to it. Just don't get to close to the beat. :wink:

7. I love lightning shots! Now that we're in Kansas I'll get to try catching some....I don't think I saw lightning once in California.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Charles! I haven't chased lightening for a long time. Thanks for posting this!

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You should have lots of chances. Just don't get hit. :wink:

Its my second favorite thing to shoot. :smile:

10. I saw something on the internet that you mount on your camera and it detects the lightening and fires the camera. I just did a quick search and couldn't find it again.

Marlene

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have seen a few devices that do that and have thought of building my own, but there is something about standing next to a metal tripod in an electrical storm that makes it exciting. :wink:

12. Way cool, Charles!
    Gonna have a little talk with My D2X--see if it can do that too! 'cept all we need is lightening !

13. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Great shots I've got one question:

Are you standing outside in the rain, under cover, or inside to get these?