One ugly critter

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Sometimes we may not want to see the world close-up. The critter below, attached to the door jamb of the outhouse at my older sister's cabin, sent my kid sister screaming from the john.

original.

Anybody know what it is?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Omg that is a fugly one
    Don't have a clue what it is

Harry or Bob will know

3. LMAO, Thanks Gale, I know have learned a new word thanks to you!!!

That is one nasty looking critter, and looks like it might also have a nasty bite!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol Sandi
    You haven't heard that one.

lolol
    Fun word

5. Dam!! I thought camel spiders were ugly!!

What the heck is that thing?

6. My husband's seen them, but he has no idea what they are. Like the rest of us - he wants to know.

Lil

7. Its the main bug from the 1st "Men in Black" movie:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  8. Harry, that's a Stone Fly larva (Order Plecoptera). Usually, they inhabit fast running, cool waters, clutched to stones or dead wood. Only before reaching the adult stage they leave the water.

IMO - not ugly at all.

Cheers

9. Sounds like you have it right. The outhouse sits on top of a stony cliff on the bank of a fast-moving creek (riffle spot). The bugs were on the cast-concrete frame of the outhouse. All consistent with your description. Thanks so much, other Harry!