One Up, One Down

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    A humpback whale starts a deep dive as a Minke whale lunges at the surface. This shows what you can get by accident. I was so intent on getting the tail shot of the humpback, I didn't even see the minke!
    [​IMG]
    As a size note, the minke is less than 1/2 the size of the humpback, so it wasn't as far from the humpback as it might appear.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shot Bay. Do you go out shooting these guys every weekend?

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I try to get out every weekend, sometimes mid-week if I hear things are good. I've done 31 trips so far this season, I would anticipate 10-15 more. (Each time the boat leaves the dock is a trip, sometimes I do 2x/day) It's getting tougher, though, with the high gas prices. It's a 300 mile round trip to the dock, 5 hours on the road. In a way, I'm glad the season only lasts 7 months, but I do miss them over the winter. They (the humpbacks) have it all figured out.....they spend the spring, summer and fall in the north and winter around the Barbados. Wish I could do that!

4. This is a really cool image Baywing. Your exposure and color balance are right on . Well done.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, Gordon. The WB is a real struggle for me out there. There is tons of blue and almost no red or green. With the D100, auto WB is out (too inconsistant if you remember) so it's presets or custom. I tried the custom, but it didn't seem to work too well, light balance seems to change quickly. I usually end up either sunny -3 or cloudy -3 depending on the day. Then the work begins in PS. The best thing I've bought in years was the Spyder II and got the monitor calibrated. Makes life alot easier!! :wink: