One way ticket to Mars.. and it's NOT a joke!

Well, this is really the next step of realities...

As far as I read on a local newspaper, if you want to try to go to Mars (notice: I said "to go", NOT "to come back" ) and you're looking for a world wide fame, this might be the opportunity of your life...

They are looking for 24 volunteers to settle in Mars in 2023.. and it's not a joke..
The ones chosen will start a 7-yrs long astronaut space training in 2015.
There's a short video and some faqs in case you're interested

http://mars-one.com/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not that was one of the early original ideas for the USA moon shot
during the cold war space race... They considered sending a group of astronauts
to the moon where they would build a crude base/shelter and wait in the hope that
the means to retrieve them would be developed in time before they ran out of air/food...

There were many volunteers for the program but luckily the ability to send AND return
the crew was developed before such a plan needed to be implemented...

The main question is "What will happen when money run out on the Earth side and everybody lose interest"?
Project like this, if it even possible, is heavily depends on constant supply of everything from Earth. It is not a sustainable project in a long run, unless you add some reliable means of transportation there and back. Even then, it all depend on what commodities, if any, Mars colony can export back. At least they can make money on all of those scientists wanted to make research there and tourists, and if it goes wrong, they would be able to evacuate. Also, colony like this will not be able to go by just on solar batteries. Nuclear reactors are needed to sustain all that equipment and life support, and , if nuclear power is used in transport ship, it will make the whole thing much more possible to happen.
The way it is now, well, somebody will collect a good salary from all this donations for the next 10-15 years.
I would not sign up for a one way trip. It is stupid thing to do.

I'm sure they will find 24 volunteers, most likely way more than that. The only question is, will they find 24 that are mentally stable enough to actually pull this off. It seems to me that the character traits that make someone sign up for a one-way trip to Mars vs. those required for an Astronaut are mutually exclusive.

Also, how many of those that actually start training will change their minds during the 7 years...

But the real question is:
What lens would you take???
You would only have to take one!
I suppose most pictures will be inside, so something like Nikon 14-24 f2.8 will do, but it should have "LIFE TIME WARRANTY"!:biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol
you know that joke of those astronauts leaving for 1 yr in the space?
The first one says "I'm a stamp collectors, please provide me enough stamps for my spare time so I'll be able to catalog them all and have a valuable collection when I come back" So NASA provides him plenty of different stamps from the whole world in a few huge boxes.
The second one says "I'm a reader: there are many books I would have always have the time to read but no way: here is the list" So NASA collects them all in another pallet and that's it.
The third one candidly admits: "I'm simply a smoker. I spend my whole spare time with cigarettes, cigars and other products like that. Might you fill my cabin with that?" Despite the non smoking policies, NASA officers decide to make him happy with a much more than adequate supply of what he asked.
After the year, the shuttle comes back to Earth and the first one is radiant: "How beautiful trip we had and how rich I'll be now by presenting you such unique stamp collections!" says showing his album
The second also smiles and says "I feel a much richer man because of the trip and the precious and meaningful books you gave me"
The third one exits the shuttle on an ambulance bed, looks very bad, with tears at wide open eyes, trembling, and a clear sign of mental illness... With a whisper one of the men come to help hears: "Gimme a match, God please gimme a match!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I would certainly consider it. Not sure they would have me, and I am sure my wife would not approve :tongue:

Of course it would also need to have web access so I could keep in touch with the cafe.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom