1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

One week old (newborns are hard to photograph!)

Discussion in 'People' started by KsJET, Jul 31, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    This is my new niece. I took over 20 pictures and this is the only one with both eyes open. She was facing the back of the couch and I was leaning over her, so the crop isn't the best. I wish I could have included her hands. Her parents are thrilled with it, though. :)  I have been practicing with my SB-600 and if I think in this shot I had it facing up and to the left. Is the conversion too dark?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I think it looks great, conversion and all.

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OOOhhh I think newborns are easy...jmho. I took a storybook series for my good friend. It was combination of fingers, toes, eyes...sleepy time, etc.

However, I love your shot, it's beautiful.

4. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS

Newborns are the hardest subjects I've ever shot. Seriously.

You have a pretty good shot here, Kellie.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

great shot ...congrats!

6. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN

You'll have to give me some pointers. :biggrin: She was laying still, but it was so hard to get her to open both eyes at the same time. And her coloring is still yellowish/red, so I was having a hard time with skin tones (hence the b&w conversion). She also has a little bit of baby acne which wouldn't be a problem, but I want to print this as an 8x10 or larger for my brother. So I did a gaussian blur layer on her skin. Next time I'll try close ups of fingers and toes. :) 

Thanks for the compliments!

7. I will take a newborn every time over a 1 to 2 year old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.