One year on the "white side" update!

Real Name
Ken St John
About a year ago, I decided to jolt 40+ years of photography knowledge and switch from Nikon to Canon. In the year since, I still believe that BOTH systems are wonderful tools and capable of capturing just about anything I can imagine!! I have found a few areas where I think Canon excels but these items pretty much all fall into the "convenience" category, not Image Quality!! (FYI - my last Nikon was a D750 and I'm now using a 6D Mk II. Pretty much the same specs/features/prices for both cameras. My lens selections are also about the same.)

The first thing I have found I really l like is the touchscreen enabled rear LCD.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I use this a lot, especially when shooting long exposures. In addition to seeing what the exposure will actually look like, I can even enable to screen to trigger the shutter (after a 2 second delay) with a gentle tap, and the results have been very positive.

I also note that Canon's matrix exposure system handles images with a bright light much better than my Nikon's did, one of the few IQ differences I have found.

The Canon BT/Wifi wireless connection to my phone and desktop Mac are far easier to use than the wifi app for the D750 (I know that the D850 and others that use Nikon's SnapBridge app function far better, more like the Canon app, but the D750 still uses the Wireless Mobile Utility that requires a lot of manual steps.) Little things ... but the convenience really adds up after a while.

Finally, the Canon has GPS built in, which I love. I had the GPS adapter for my D750, but it took up space on the hot shoe and required a full time wired connection. With everything inside, it's easy to use. I've become totally enamored with seeing where I was standing on a map when I get back from a trip!!

Again, overall I found the two cameras, and lenses, etc., to be virtually identical in IQ, but I'll admit really liking some of the convenience features.

Happy shooting, all!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Ken, you've soared over the last year. It could have been the Canon. It could have been the Ford truck. It could have been "old" age. Whatever it was, you have been wowing us with some great images and provocative processing. Keep it up. That white Nikon sure does suit you though :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom