One Year - One Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DeeJay_M, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I posted last week in an effort to make up my mind on a 18-200 lens - Nikon or Sigma.

Since that time I've had an unexpected bonus (cash) come my way and am thinking about something faster to stick on the D40X... or even perhaps a D300 with an 18-200 and then get some fast glass next year.

I'm still thinking that I want something that will stay on the camera for 90% of the time. If I'm travelling and running around with my 1yr old girl I don't want to think about packing lot's of gear (on top of nappies, bottles etc.!). So, if someone were to come to your house/business today and take away all of your lenses and leave you with just one (whether you currently own it or not) for twelve months, what lens would you have?

An unrelated questions.

Essentially what is the difference on DX lenses? I'm aware that the sensor on DX cameras is smaller effectively giving you a 1.x crop and am aware that a DX lens won't work on a full format (D3/D700) camera but what happens if I put a 24-70 non DX lens on a DX camera? I'm guessing nothing, which makes me wonder why DX lenses exist at all...? What am I missing here?

Darryl.

2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    One lens only? 35mm f/1.4 would be great. Manual focus is fine, I don't mind. For auto-focus-minded people, the 35/2 is excellent as well.

If I had to pick on camera + lens to shoot with for a year, it would be an M7 and 35 Summilux.

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    For all around use AND chasing a 1yr old around, get a 17-55DX f/2.8 for sure! :smile:

I have this lens more or less permanently parked on my D40. DX lenses give you more appropriate angles of view on DX cameras. The 28-70/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 are both great lenses, but 24/28mm still isn't very wide on a DX camera. 17mm is generally wide enough for walk-around scenic type photos, but 24-28mm would probably leave you wanting something wider.

4. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    1 lens.. Get the 16-85 VR..

5. That's easy for me... The Beast... the 28-70mm/ 2.8.
    BUT, it is a big and heavy lens ... from what I have seen all the pro/fast zoom glass is like that. The 18-200 VR may be a better option. It really depends upon your personal style. When you shoot do you find you are shooting at the telephoto end or the wide end? That will be a large determining factor.
    Take Care

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, covers the range I need for 90% of my photographs in a nice and compact package.

The equivalent DX lens is much cheaper and easier to make; it's impossible to make a 17-50mm f/2.8 lens the same size and price for FF as it is for DX.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC

Jan 7, 2008
    Maryland
    Darryl, I know exactly where you are coming from, every time I leave the house I feel like I have such decisions to make and I never seem to have the lens I want when I need it and it's frustrating. I use a D200 and any more when I am going with the young grandchildren and they are going to be my subjects I like to go light and take either the 17-55 (though it gets a little heavy when chasing them around) or I take the sigma 30 1.4.

My husband has D300 and the only lens he ever uses is the 18-200vr (the only lens he owns or wants), his pictures look great, his life is so much simpler, camera is always ready to go and he never misses a shot because he has the wrong lens on. I think if you are taking a small child around with you all the time it's a great choice.

8. I've been using the Sigma 18-50 2.8 as my only lens for about 6 months now; it's all I need.

9. You're looking for the most versatile lens. For a DX shooter like me, it would have to be the 18-200VR. What's ironic is that I bought this lens and sold it because I never used it, preferring to lug 2 or 3 lenses wherever I go. But if I HAVE to choose one lens, and one lens only, the 18-200VR would have to be it.

You can use a full frame or FX lens on a DX camera with no issues. DX lenses were designed to work with the smaller sized sensor and save on size and weight and cost.

10. My choice would be the Nikon F4s with 50mm F1.2. not the most flexible set up, but it would force me to think about my composition a bit more. Or, my yashica electro GTN.

11. Thank you for a very succinct answer to a question that could not be answered so easily by all of the sales people I asked in various stores. It now makes perfect sense.

12. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    The 24-70/2.8G is excellent, and is all a lot of people will ever need.

13. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

looks like its gonna be one lens this year.hopefuly,in this economic climate who knows.my employer already has showed us their thrifty side with merit raises so we will see.last years end of year nbonus was enough to get my 300.id love to get the tokina 11-16 2.8.ive been limping by on the wide end with my sigma 1.8 20mm good lens bad 30mm focal length.

14. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    One year one lens? Only my 35 f2 come into my mind...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.