Ones and Zeros

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Could someone explain to me how the pictures we see posted here, that I'm told are really nothing more than ones and zeros, ....... work? :confused:
    Or are they really that?
    Jarrell

2. this is a bit quip but the way i see it mine are zeros, yours are ones :^)

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Lol... you're dangerous... :biggrin: and besides that's not true!

4. Lol, Dave, and I agree. Jarrell, glad to see you posting more, but would love to see even more fine examples of your talent!!

5. Jarrell, I'm not sure if your tongue is in your cheek or not. If you really want to know I'll try to explain, otherwise you can save me a heck of a lot of typing.

Don

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All things computer are binary. Jarrell pics are extrodinary :>)))

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL@PAUL

heffalump....heehee

Jarrell do that. nah ...never ....wink wink

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    No... I'm serious! I've always wondered how a bunch of ones and zeros are put together in a way that comes out as a picture on the internet. I made the mistake of saying that's what happened to my good friend Elmo 'Bubba' Quackenbush one day and he asked me to "splain" that and, naturally I couldn't, so here I am.
    Jarrell

10. Jarrell, I just can't understand why no one so far has taken this seriously and given you an answer for your old buddy Bubba.

First off, we need to go back to the old days of film, that flimsy stuff with chemical coatings and such, the emulsion stuff. When light strikes the emulsion, different layers for different colors remember, it excites a whole bunch of little magical imps and demons. Now, at this point in time these little critters are still invisible, so the next step is to take them off to the Dark Room, keeping them in the Dark all the while, to be Developed. You dunk them into some smelly chemistry bits and this makes them visible, but the little suckers then move around too much so the last thing you do is to dump them in the Fixer. Annoys them, because now they are visible, but dangit they can't move anymore. They stay that way forever, or until just before you need an old negative or slide 20 years later and you find they have mostly escaped, and now you have a yellow bit of film-stuff left. Same process happens when you make a print, just a different tribe of imps and demons.

Now, of course, we have moved to the digital age, and just like us humans the imps and demons have evolved. Don't believe this electronic stuff you here about, these little buggers now live in the light wells of the sensors. The reason it has been so difficult to get the number of mega-pixels we have, is that these folks don't get along too well, which is why they have to live in the light wells, so they remain separated. Now, you might ask, how the heck does on set of imps and demons continue making so many images on the CF cards we have? Aha, this is where Evolution comes in. The key to all of digital photography was getting these folks to breed faster than rabbits. This is the REAL race that Nikon and Sony have been in, vast genetics programs, and you can see how they are paying off. Now, the last step in this process is that the special nature of CF, for example, is to apply the same "fixer" process that the last step of the old chemistry did.

Then along comes our Post-Process. Ever wonder why sometimes your computer gets so slow using something like Capture? That is probably because you pushed something too hard and have annoyed a group of these buggers and they are trying to go on strike.

And so, at each stage in the process, what you are seeing is these bunches of little magical critters reproducing like mad in order to create new "versions" of your picture. Unlike the old days when you had to "pre-create" all of them into the film in the first place. So it is much cheaper for Nikon and Canon because they along have to initally create and populate enough for the senses, the rest "self-replicate" as they go along. One thing that is kept quite secret, however, is the mechanism of reproduction. Many rumors abound, but their is a whole debate going on about this if you look in the right places. Of course when it comes to printing, not as much has changed.

So now we come to how they are displayed. The Ones and Zero's are just the magical encoded representation that the evil empire of Microsoft so jealously guards, but that the likes of Mozilla, the great Apple and Adobe have managed to figure out anyway and make available in the Public Domain.

So there, in a nutshell, you have it.

All the above is absolutely, completely and totally true and correct. Having been in the Software Biz for over 3 decades now, I should really know. Oh, yeah, I really have to give credit to Terry Pratchett and the Disc World novels for the inspiration to write such drivel at 6AM in the morning.....:wink: .

So, Jarrel, go pass this along to Bubba today, I'm sure that he will get It, and not from eBay.....

ps. As to why Jarrells bits are better, my guess is that he eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches near his camera and computer. The smell of peanut butter, and the occasional dropping of some bits, really gets these little creatures going. You have to be careful though, to be sure that you don't give them too much or your camera gets sticky, they get drunk, and you get massive back-focus.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. OK, here goes

The reason I asked the question in the last post is that nobody responded to your question with an answer so I figured I was probably missing a Nikon Café joke or something (I've recently found this place from DPR and am learning the ropes).

This describes 8 bit color depth, 12 and 16 work the same just with more bits.

Computer data is ones and zeros. It represents base 10 numbers using binary (base 2). If you are not familiar with binary numbers Google binary and you'll surely find a good description.

The basic unit of storage is a bit. A bit is essentially an electrical switch that can be on or off to represent a value of 1 or 0.
    In most cases the smallest useful unit of storage is a byte. A byte consists of a group of eight bits.
    An unsigned byte can represent any integer from 0 to 255 (256 values).

Your monitor displays one color pixel by blending three colored dots or squares, one each for red, blue and green. Each of these dots can vary in brightness level from 0 to 255 (see the association?). By blending these colors and intensities each pixel can display one of 16,777,216 (256 x 256 x 256) colors.

In simple terms a digital photograph is a file consisting of data map made up of those 1's and 0's telling the display where and how bright to make each of the three-color dot groups (pixels).

In even simpler terms the image is recorded in reverse. The camera has dots that report "I'm red and I saw this much light at this location", "I'm green and...." - you get the idea. The camera's computer records all these reports and saves them as the image file.

I'm not an engineer or scientist so there's probably big technical gaps in this description but basically, that's how it works.

Don
    (Donald Granger on DPR)