1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Online hosting recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triangular, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Hello. I keep my own gallery space using Gallery2 software on my own server, so I'm not looking for another commercial site requiring fees. But I am looking for any free hosting like Pbase or Flickr that would be a good place for an online portfolio, to generate a broader audience or help draw attention to my own gallery site.

The problem with some of these free hosting sites is that they are not really free (Pbase only offers a short trial), or they are littered with advertisements or other non-professional appearances. If I'm just looking for 2ndary photo hosting for smaller collections that won't cost me anything, where would you recommend I look?

2. Me thinks any free hosting site is going to be full of ads.
    Thats the only revenue they make off the site.
    Have you considered a blog? I'm not sure of size restrictions
    though.

3. Google has one, not sure how it works if you're not using Picasa. I have my own gallery/blog/site and use ExposureManager, but set my kids up w/ their Gmail site as it's easier w/ the Picasa tie-in.

An interesting site is Tabblo. This site helps you create a "story", a la a blog. Here's one I did last year trying it out. I see that they were purchased by HP, but I don't think they charge, and don't see any evidence of adverts. And they have some nice integration w/ other sites.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    You may also want to try beta.zooomr.com.

5. My clients and I all use a web host in Seattle called Parcom.NET. If I remember right, the entry level plan is 10GB of storage for $4 a month. That's less than one latte at Starbucks!! NO ads, near 100% reliability and up-time.

Once you have your own "space" - YOU can do what you want!!

Yeah, it's not "free," but come on .. $4 a month??

Cheers!!

Ken

6. That does sound like a great deal. Although I'm looking for several different places I can put smaller galleries online, just to generate more audience traffic back to my own gallery, which I already pay for and run on my own server. I'm just not looking to spend more money because it doesn't make sense to me. But if I change my mind I'll consider your suggestion. Thanks for letting me know about it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.