Online Image Tracking Service?

Just curious to know if there is some sort of program that can permit your camera to embed a unique number or code on images it captures so one can then track these coded images online in case your camera is stolen?

I'm sure a program like this can be created for memory cards, but the problem would be that once someone formats the card, the program would be lost. It would be nice for cameras to be able to add the info onto any image. Then if one does a search using the unique code you can find where images from your stolen camera have been posted.

Does such a program exist?

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Hi Sandy,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't such a program necessitate rewriting the firmware and wouldn't that void your camera's warranty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Sandy,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't such a program necessitate rewriting the firmware and wouldn't that void your camera's warranty?
According to "Stolencamerafinder" our JPEG files already have a unique serial number, so it seems like no extra firmware would need to be added.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind much about the warranty in my particular case because I am using older DSLR's (D200).

With a few caveats. Fairly popular sites for image sharing (Flickr and Facebook come to mind) strip exif away so you wouldn't find your camera there.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom