Online photo labs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaws, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Here is a list of many of the online photo labs. Please add any more that I didn't list, and also please tell us about your experiences with any of these labs.

Adoramapix - www.adoramapix.com
    Dotphoto - www.dotphoto.com
    Kodak Easyshare Gallery - www.kodakgallery.com
    Mpix - www.mpix.com
    Photoworks - www.photoworks.com
    Ritzpix - www.ritzpix.com
    Shutterfly - www.shutterfly.com
    Snapfish - www.snapfish.com
    Sony's Imagestation - www.imagestation.com
    Wal-Mart Photo Center - www.walmart.com
    eXpress Prints - www.expressprints.com
    Denver Digtial Imaging Center - www.theslideprinter.com
    Pro Pics Express - www.propicsexpress.com
    Dale Laboratories - www.dalelabs.com
    BWC Photo Imaging - www.bwc.net (www.e-zpics.com/)
    Winkflash – www.winkflash.com
    ezprints – www.ezprints.com

2. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    My favorite is Mpix. They are a pro lab which does excellent work and which provides a nice variety of products. Their metallic paper is real special. They also provide professional color management as a standard feature. You can request a free sample of the 3 types of paper they use. I would recommend this so you can see what the metallic paper looks like. They have great prices too, especially when you consider they are a pro lab. Their 4x6 prints are a little pricey, but the rest of the print sizes they offer have excellent prices. I know many other photographers who are also very impressed with Mpix.

The statuettes from Mpix Press are real cool. I also had business cards made up by Mpix Press and they are very nice.

3. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I noticed that Adormapix also offers the metallic paper as an option. I haven't used them yet, but I know a photographer who uses them and who said good things about them.

4. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I've used Ritz from going in their store and ordering prints at their kiosk. The prints are nice from them. Their prices aren't the best though.

5. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I've used Walmart.com to order prints which I then picked up at my local Walmart. The prints were OK, and the prices were real good. The best part was being able to order them at home and then go to the local Walmart an hour later and pick them up. That is a nice convenience, especially when you need something made up real fast.

6. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Snapfish and Winkflash seem to have some of the best pricing, especially for 4x6 prints. I've used Snapfish before and was very pleased with the prints they provided. The only thing about Snapfish is that they use HP paper, and not Kodak or Fuji paper. The HP paper is decent, but some of the labs use Kodak and Fuji papers which I feel are better. I haven't used Winkflash yet.

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I've used Shutterfly and MPIX.
    Shutterfly is good, if you need a lot of 4x6s. Great prepaid pricing plans. The 8x10s are good quality as well.

Mpix, is the one I use for a more professionally finished product. I've yet to be disappointed with any order from Mpix. I've been using them for over a year now.

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    For those in the UK and Europe Photobox was awarded a gold standard by Digital Photo Mag recently. Their work is excellent; photos and even hardback albums can be returned within 24 hours of ordering.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/

9. WHCC.com
    White House Custom Color

Used by many wedding Photogs for album prints

10. I've been a long time fan of Mpix.

Mpix recently dropped their prices on 4 x6 prints to $.19 if you don't have them do any color corrections to your images.
    Since most of us on the Cafe probably do our own PP, this price reduction makes using Mpix even better.
    There are a few limitations on this price. E.g., you can't mix your 4x6 order with other size prints.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  11. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Printroom.com

12. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
  13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    My printer local.
    I just take my pics to Joe and he does his magic. I am so lucky to have him:>)))))) Great person. Professional photographer. His favorite is models:>)) Oh are they beautiful images. Weddings and other stuff inbetween. Photoshop guru and professional printer all rolled into one..
    http://access.lifepics.com/net/Default.aspx

14. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    My Experience

WHCC customer service beats MPIX hands down. Color accuracy slightly better at WHCC as well. Paper identical as are printing services and options. MPIX offers more "goofy" options than WHCC, like calendars and statues and bookmarks. WHCC priced better ... depending on print size ... much better. Both companies offer true B&W's on B&W paper and/or metallic printing.

11x14s from WHCC = $4
    11x14s from MPIX = $7

Both MPIX and WHCC make horrible business cards, truly abysmal. For business cards, I use http://www.overnightprints.com who use real cardstock instead of the heavyweight paper that MPIX and WHCC use.

15. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

MODERATORS: I recommend this excellent thread be a sticky!

16. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    The statuettes Mpix makes are real nice. I got one made up earlier this year and was really impressed. It's a lot stronger than I thought it would be and everyone I showed it to loved it and thought it was real neat.

17. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I have been using White House Custom Color (WHCC) for about 4 years now. They have been great, pricing is good and customer service has been excelent. My only gripe is that they switched from Fuji Crystal Archive paper to Kodak Udura about a year and a half ago. I like the fuji paper better.

Dan

18. Tanya210

Tanya210 Guest

I also use WHCC for all of my prints. Clients love the quality.