Online Sales ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StuSimmo, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Does anyone here sell prints online :?:

If so what software do you use or supplier you use :?:

I have been toying with the idea and would prefer to concentrate on pictures rather than websites (especially as I work in IT) so have used the services of Photobox in the UK to provide a service for me.

I have set up a site at http://www.photoboxgallery.com/scs but wondered if there are good alternatives or easier ways to get pictures available for sale ???

2. Looked through your gallery, you have some nice images for sale. Good luck with this project.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Stu,

I have built a 'buy images' online store into my blog/gallery. On certain images that I want to sell prints of, I put a link next to the image like this buythisimage. . Clicking on the button takes you to my store (try it) where you can buy some of my work through PayPal.

It's not very popular, I've sold under a hundred bucks worth of prints there, but then I haven't added to it in about a year.

4. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Mine are for sale too. I put a little message at the top of my gallery. It's not very popular either. But then again, I don't have much stuff that's nice.

The only print I've sold off the site was from a friend and it was a D2h high-ISO shot - one of my worst images:

[​IMG]

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You sir, are way too modest! Yer stuff's great!

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Really, do you honestly think so (you don't have to be nice to me, after all, we're friends, right?)? It really looks poor to me, especially when I see some other people's work.

I often think that people give me cushy comments just because they don't want to hurt my feelings.

I'm thinking perhaps I should be more assertive and make it seem like I think I'm all that just so people can shoot down my photos and I'll pick up criticism and improve my work.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I really think so. Your child portraits, landscape and animal park shots are all very nice. There are also some very well done shots in your abstract gallery.

But your reef tank photos are without comparison. It may be the time you take to clean them up after shooting, but they really sparkle! Anyone with a tank in the LA area that wants photos would do themselves a favor if they called you.

I know what you mean though. The humble approach works up to a point, but people are so used to being advertised to, they will believe what you say before what they see.