ooh, ooh, can I be first? Backdrop colors for a Redhead

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I'm doing a portrait shoot of a little 2yr old girl next wk who has bright red hair, and will be wearing a pink dress and hat. What color backdrop would you suggest I use to compliment those colors? I have a grey muslin, a light blue muclin, an off white muslin, all of which have a classic mottled pattern, and could be lightend or darkened, and several solid color seamless papers in Tan, Grey, Black, and Red. SO, what color backdrop would YOU choose for this adorable little redhead?

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    A bright redhead in pink, uuummmmm for some reason I think it might look nice with a brown background. Ya I know the one color background you didn't list. lol

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Steve, are you from Fort Wayne? I have a ton of family up there, going to visit the old home state this coming June.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Steve,

I'm just getting into portraiture but I think that a brown muslin would be too close to red hair color, especially if its close to auburn like my wife's hair color.

I think the off white muslin might work best. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

I'm thinking of getting this to get rid of this very issue.
    http://www.digitalanarchy.com/primatte/primatte_main.html

Cheers,

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yep, Todd, I'm in "The Fort"

If you get up this way, we should hook up. My 2 boys & I always need a 4th for golf! (9 holes is all my back can take). My 18 y.o. is a Senior, & a starter on his H.S. golf team, and the 15 y.o. Freshman, is going to make the J.V. team this Spring. I, on the other hand, am a bogie golfer hack.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Digi-Backgrounds hard to do

Thanks for the vote for the off white.
    Re the digi's:
    They're hard to make the subject look completely realistic against the background through cutting/pasting. I didn't look really close at the stuff on your link, but, I know I tried it with a blue chromakey background, and failed miserably. Dennis D over on DPR, who sold me (on Ebay) a big selection of digi-backgrounds on CD, doesn't use them anymore either. It just so hard to cut the subject out and blend seamlessly into the fake background. Ask around, few, if any use those.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Did I post this in the right forum? :-/

If I did, then all I'm asking for is an opinion, no experience needed.
    Edit: Originally, I tried to make this thread into a poll, but for some reason, it didn't work.

Now, I know everyone has an opinion, :) so how 'bout lending yours to this post?
    I'll ask you all once again:
    What color background would *you* use for a flame red-headed child, wearing a pink dress?
    This an example of the Blue:
    Here's one of the Grey:

8. Steve -

Here's a thought. What color are her eyes? People are drawn to the eyes in most portraits, and you may want to pick a backdrop that helps to bring out the eye color. For example, a blue background might work well if her eyes are blue.

Just have to tell you that I've always appreciated your openness to experiment and learn through online cooperation -- I feel like I've learned a lot through watching your work.

Thanks!

9. Re: Did I post this in the right forum? :-/

The off white muslin background would let the red hair take center stage without clashing as several of your others would. Second choice would be the grey.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Don't know the child's eye color

I have never seen the child before in person, only a small wallet pic of her, when I met her mom 2 mo ago. I like the idea of bringing out her eye color, David, and will ask when they confirm their appt next week. Thanks.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Re: Did I post this in the right forum? :-/

I appreciate your input, Gordon. As long as I light it well, it won't look like an old dirty bedsheet, as I've seen in the past, and it does have some faint blue streaks in it, so if she has blue eyes, that could be beneficial to bring out the blue in her eyes. I am concerned about there being enough contrast between the pink dress and the off white background though. And, I suppose the grey is a safe bet too.
    Well, either this thread was too technical, or not technical enough, since there were just 4 replies from the SIXTY registered users here. :cry: