Oops!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I just accidentally deleted 130 RAW images, I'd just converted to jpg, from my files..........and yes, I also emptied my trash bin! :Shocked: They are gone. Any really good programs you've used to recover lost images? :redface: (what a computer klutz!)

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Not gone until you write over those sectors on the hard drive. There are several undelete programs that could probably recover them.

Google on 'undelete' for a bunch of them.

3. jb007

jb007 Guest

**Heed the warning (and the implications) carefuly!!!!**

As John says, not lost...until overwritten. So *don't change anything* on that disk until you've either recovered them or given up! e.g. don't install any software onto that disk, nor write new emails if stored on that disk...you get the message.

4. Okay, but I don't know how to save it to anyplace other than my C drive.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Time To Hollar For Patrick ....where Are You..

6. Gale,

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't dive in. I'm always hollering for help. It's tough being a computer klutz, you know! I think like a pencil and eraser, not a computer.

7. Someone from here on the forum, Rich Gibson, (Super Moderator I think his name was)PM'd me with a site for retreiving lost files. I downloaded and tried it. It collected over 18,000 files before I got worried and stopped it. I looked through them, but nothing was what I'd lost, and 99.9% of it was of images I'd never seen, ie. company logs, advertisements, WebShots pictures, pictures of puppy dogs, etc., etc., etc., etc. Only a couple of hundred pictures were ones I'd taken and deleted..........but none were of the 130 NEF files I'd lost. :frown: Being the computer klutz I am, I didn't realize that by finding those files, I'd actually "overwritten" the lost files on my C:Drive.........effectively losing what I was looking for. :mad: I got a program today (Winundelete) to find my lost files. It specifically states to download the files to a seperate location other than the file from which I am trying to find the lost images. So, I ran Winundelet, following the instructions, and it says I have no deleted files. :eek: So as I see it now, my lost files are "no more".

I'm sure most of you know better than to do what I did, but just thought I'd let those with my level of computer skills know how important it is not to. Big disappointment when I have only myself to blame for such an error. I was just sick when I realized I'd deleted the images and emptied my trash bin, but was even sicker when I realized I'd messed up my chances of retreiving them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    That's too bad. A good undelete program should show you the names of deleted files but not recover them until you tell it to.

9. John,

It was my mistake. I've only myself to blame. It's hard to kick one's own butt, but believe me I've been doing it. :mad: Guess I've been trying to fly a Boeing 747 before learning how to fly a Cessna! I'd laugh at that if it weren't so disappointing for me...........and frankly all the friends and collegues who are anxiously awaiting discs with the pictures. It was a big event and I really blew it.

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Chris,

This is the software that I use.

http://www.data-recovery-software.net/#features I have the network edition but you could get by with the 50.00 version. Just need to make sure that you select the type of file system you have. FAT or NTFS. I'll be happy to assist you if you need me too. If you wanted you could send me your hard drive and I'll recover for you.

Rstudio is an awesome app that can recover terrabytes of data and I've had excellent luck with it. Just ask forum member Greg or Gale.

There are other apps on the net but this one is the only one that has worked each time I've used it.

Thanks,

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. Thanks Patrick and Paul, but the files are gone. I've tried every sample program anyone has suggested and a few others I've found and they simply say there are no deleted images or files found. Guess I should have been less skeptical of the first program I tried and let it finish it's job. I just got scared when the time passed the 2 hour mark and it was still downloading "images". I thought maybe it was a virus or something and was stripping my hard drive. (thats how much I know about computers!!!!!)

Patrick, I really appreciate your offer, but it wouldn't be worth the effort to do that. I'll just take my licks and learn my lesson.

Chris

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. Actually, Paul, I did try to download the trial version, but it won't fit on a floppy disc and I only have one hard drive. I don't know enough about computers..............can I download it to my CD/DVD burner? If so, how?

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You may be surprised just how hard it is to make files really 'gone' when you have the proper tools to look for them.

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

17. Okay, thanks, Paul.

Is there someone out there with the word-smith skills to walk me through this mess or should I just take my licks as mentioned before? If you have the skills, you'll need the patience of a Saint! I literally need a point-n-click explaination.

By the way, the 130 images I've lost are not important to anyone but myself and several friends. They are of an event we all attended and everyone wanted copies of my pictures. So it's not really the end of the world if I can't retrieve them. (I'm just going to be hung up by my ba!!s and roasted over a bed of hot coals until my eyeballs turn green!!!!):Shocked:

18. Chris, I don't suppose there's any chance of retrieving them off the cards you used in-camera??? You might have some still in the 'background', try running the retrieval program on the card(s) and see what you come up with.

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005